VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Bear scouting on skis - Beginner friendly · Sat. Mar. 1st - Sun. Mar. 2nd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Mar. 1st, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Mar. 2nd, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Feb. 27th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside club room
So Stuart might have failed to get some guns together but that doesn't mean there isn't fun to be had!
We shall head up to Sphynx hut, this will take most of Saturday. On Sunday we will carry out reconnaissance so we know where to hunt for bears on a later trip once Stuart gets over his gun sourcing issues (the American boarder is REALLY close!!). As luck would have it I hear Bears tend to hang out on North facing slopes which there are plenty of around sphynx. As luck would also have it these slopes will be getting baked the least by the sun this week and should thus hopefully give us the best skiing!
This trip is open to all, we shall make sure we are the epitome of good company and bend over backwards to be helpful. The trip into the hut is not technically difficult but it is long so you should be comfortable with trekking for a full day. There are easier descents than the Garibaldi switchbacks but different options are always available to make sure less comfortable skiers make it down in one piece (like keeping skins on or just taking the skis off).
Any questions, e-mail me or post on the message board.
Come and sign up, it will be a blast!