VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Sphinx Bay Ski Trip · Sat. Mar. 29th - Sun. Mar. 30th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Mar. 29th
End: Sunday, Mar. 30th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Mar. 26th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
I haven't been up to Sphinx Bay yet this year, so let's go visit the hut. The plan will be to drive up on Saturday morning and ski the ~15km and 900m elevation (depending on where we can park) to the Burton hut. On Sunday, we'll explore the area a bit and then ski out to the cars at Rubble Creek.
This trip is beginner friendly, so if you don't have any experience backcountry skiing or visiting VOC huts, this is a good trip for you. With that said, it is still a long distance to the hut, so it won't be a particularly short or easy day. If you have never skied, you may want to consider snowshoes, as this will make the descent easier. We'll need to each pay BC Parks $10 for overnight park fees. This trip is limited to 10 people, a comfortable capacity for the hut. A gear list is here. Avy gear will be required by all participants I'll hold a pre-trip meeting prior to the banquet in the clubroom at 6pm on March 26.