VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
VOC Slideshow: Hiking Munich - Venice, cycle touring in Iceland and other adventures · Wednesday, April 16th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Wednesday, Apr. 16th, 7:00 pm
There will be another slideshow this week:
Frank Zimmerman: Hiking Munich - Venice, cycle touring in Iceland and other adventures · Wednesday, April 16th
Hiking Munich-Venice: The "Dream Path" is a 28-30 day traverse of the Alps (depending on guidebook). The distance is 560 km, more than 20,000 m accumulated elevation gain and it goes through Germany, Austria and Italy. It is mostly hiking, some scrambling/via ferrata(s); Frank did also a slight detour to traverse Marmolada, the highest peak of the Dolomites (3343 m).
Cycle-touring on Iceland: The "Golden Circle" is popular tourist route that covers the major sights of the South-West, which is 300 km long and is usually done by tour companies in one day. There are water falls, geysers, hot springs, craters and other interesting geologic sites. With bicycle and tent it took one week, with an additional detour to an icy cave and "Midlinda", the European/North American continental divide.
If there is interest Frank can also show some pictures of an mountaineering trip to an abandoned cable car station at 3490 m next to the Matterhorn. Going up there without acclimatisation is a recipe for no sleep.
Room will be Henry Angus 235, starting at 7:15 pm.