VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Intro to Scrambling: Black Tusk and Panorama Ridge · Sat. May. 31st - Sun. Jun. 1st
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, May. 31st, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Jun. 1st, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, May. 28th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: club room
This is an introductory trip to over-night hiking and scrambling. The number of participants depends on how many experienced members will come out and as usual on the number of car-spots available. Priority will be given to the least experienced people.
Saturday: Hike up to Taylor Meadows, drop our large pack and scramble Black Tusk (if the time allows).
Sunday: Hike up to Panorama Ridge, enjoy the views and return to the cars. Visit a pub on the way home to celebrate our success :)
Taken straight from Omids' trip last year:
The trip up to Black Tusk is a fairly straight forward hike, until you reach Black Tusk itself. There's about 100m of low exposure Class 3 scrambling at that point. We'll be going for the regularly visited summit, not the true summit. People are welcome to join for the hike to the base of the Tusk in case they don't want to do the scramble itself. Helmets are mandatory for anyone who wants to do the scramble, and ice axes are recommended.
Pretrip meeting is mandatory for beginners, as we'll go over the required gear and have time for questions. If you absolutely can't make it, let me know and we see if we can figure something out.
Gear hour will take place at the same time, so you'll be able to take advantage of our free rentals.