VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Mt. Baker - (Intermediate Friendly) · Sat. Sep. 13th - Sun. Sep. 14th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Sep. 13th
End: Sunday, Sep. 14th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Sep. 10th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside Club Room
A number of people have expressed an interest in a late summer mountaineering trip up Mt. Baker. Ideally, this trip will take the Coleman Deming route to the summit, described as one of the least technical and more straightforward routes. The plan is to leave from Vancouver early on Saturday morning with a camp on Baker planned for that evening, followed by an alpine (early) start and push for the summit. That should give us a good amount of time to descend and be back in the city by the evening.
The trip is intermediate-friendly, with G1 or the equivalent skills being mandatory (familiarity with snowfields, crampons, self-arrest, walking in a rope team, and crevasse rescue). Ideally we'll be able to get a refresher night together before the trip to ensure everyone is comfortable with the fundamentals of basic mountaineering. As the trip is scheduled for late summer when many of the crevasses will be exposed, these skills will be required. The input and involvement of experienced VOCers will be greatly valued.
Finally, if the date of this trip somehow interferes with G1 we can discuss moving it to a nearby weekend. Otherwise, very stoked! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.