VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Sea Kayaking Daytrip · Saturday, April 2nd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Apr. 2nd, 9:00 am
End: Saturday, Apr. 2nd, 5:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Friday, Apr. 1st, 12:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: club room (tentative, if it's not too crowded)
Due to high winds on saturday, thistrip will take place sunday april 3rd and the route will be altered. We will depart from Granville Island at 10:00am Sunday. The degree to which we follow the shoreline or follow a more direct path to lighthouse park will depend on weather conditions. We will aim to get to lighthouse park by 1:00pm and return to Granville Island by 6:00pm. This trip is weather dependent. I am NOT certified as a kayak guide or instructor.
4 musts: You must
1.) be a strong swimmer
2.) have/rent a pfd and full immmersion gear
3.) know how to self rescue, ie get back in your boat when you flip and bail, using paddle float and well-practiced skill. This can be practiced at the voc kayak-polo sessions in the pool every other tuesday night.
4.) have/rent an ocean kayak (not a river kayak). If you don't have a kayak they can be rented from Ecomarine or MEC
See the wiki page for more beta and check out http://www.kayakpaddling.net/ for some brilliant instructional animations
If you aren't safely prepared for kayaking, another option is hiking out through the lighthouse park trails to meet us for lunch.