VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner friendly trip to Taylor Meadows (hopefully skiing!) · Sat. Nov. 29th - Sun. Nov. 30th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 29th
End: Sunday, Nov. 30th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Nov. 26th, 5:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom or just outside
Winter is coming! And that means it’s….SKI SEASON!
A few years ago we went up to Taylor Meadows for an attempt at early season skiing. Due to relative lack of snow, there wasn't much skiing to be had, although there were many mini-mis-adventures, including: a lost and found sleeping bag, 5 or 6 flame-engulfed stoves (admittedly I contributed one), backwards skiing with skins on, lost car keys in Black Tusk Meadows, and for most, a reasonably chilly night sleeping on snow. Despite the impressive fafftacle, it was actually a pretty fun trip with lots of type 2 humour and some type 2 fun!
This year, I'm older and hopefully somewhat wiser, and I figured it’s my turn to run a similar trip. In theory, this will be an overnight ski trip. However, if there isn't enough snow, it might change to a winter hiking trip. Either way, we will bring full avi kits so we can do beacon practises and get you used to using your gear.
This is a beginner friendly trip, first time skiers welcome! However please keep in mind that it will be winter and the hike in includes about 1000m elevation gain so if you've never seen snow or backpacked before then you should probably expect to suffer a bit.
Trip size is tentatively set at 10, but may change depending on the ratio of experienced/newbie folks that end up signing up.
I am also looking for a few experienced types to help out. Crucially, I work weekday evenings and so won’t be able to run a pre-trip meeting at the usual time, so I really need someone to run one for me. If you’re willing and able to lend a hand, either for the meeting or on the trip itself, let me know! :)
EDIT: This trip is being postponed one week to the 29-30th due to weather, lack of snow.