VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Intro to Backcountry Skiing · Sat. Jan. 24th - Sun. Jan. 25th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jan. 24th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Jan. 25th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 21st, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: BUCH A202 MAP
Intro to Backcountry Skiing is a trip aimed at people who can ski already who want to get into backcountry skiing and tent camping. The objective of the trip is to camp and do some skiing above camp, or climb a peak and ski down (not just skiing to camp and back). Participants should ski well enough that they will be able to descend through forest with a pack on without hitting trees, but they do not have to look remotely good while doing it (this is called Survival Skiing). The trip is a one night excursion to an area with simple terrain and no hut. Participants stay in tents and cook in a snow kitchen, while getting some advice on travelling in the backcountry and winter camping from the more experienced trip leaders.
Past locations have included
- Needle Peak, Coquihalla
- Caspar Creek
- Red Heather
- Rainbow Lake