VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Climbing in the Desert - Vantage, WA · Fri. Mar. 13th - Sun. Mar. 15th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled : Rain in the desert, rain in Skaha, rain in Squamish, rain generally
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Mar. 13th
End: Sunday, Mar. 15th
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Mar. 10th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: BUCH D213
Last year rainy weather for Winter Longhike prompted a mass migration of VOCers south of the border to Vantage, WA, for some early spring climbing. It would be great to follow up that tradition again this year, complete with relaxing around a bonfire in the evening and enjoying all the warmth and sage brush the area has to offer!
This trip will be welcoming to all skill levels but non-instructional. It will also be mostly self-sufficient, meaning participants will need their own climbing partner, gear, tent partner, and food. A pre-trip meeting will be organized to establish driving, food acquisiton, topography maps, and other details for the trip. While the details of travel are yet to be determined we will likely leave on Friday evening, set up camp upon arrival, and enjoy a full weekend at the site. Participants are welcome to arrange other plans if they wish to stay longer, or to arrive on Saturday.
Occupying an arid basin roughly 5 hours south of Vancouver, Vantage is home to sport climbing on basalt with routes comparable to those often found in gyms. As the rock can be chaussy, helmets will be necessary gear. The VOC Wiki (cited above) provides some helpful info on the location, including a driving map. The grading varies a lot, with many routes friendly to beginners (e.g.: 5.5, 5.6, etc.) while many harder routes are present as well.
Please consult the message board thread or send me an email (available via the Member's List) if you have any questions!
Please note that this trip will take place in the United States, meaning your health insurance may not have you covered. Also, not all insurance covers rock climbing. It is VERY important that all participants ensure that they are adequately covered for both rock climbing and travel generally in the USA.
For stoke, some photos taken in March, 2014:
VOCers and others climbing at the Sunshine Wall
Sunshine Wall from afar