VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Howe Sound Crest Trail (Beginner Plus Friendly) · Sat. Jun. 20th - Sun. Jun. 21st
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jun. 20th
End: Sunday, Jun. 21st
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Jun. 18th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Club room or just outside
After this trip you'll be able to take a ferry from Horseshoe Bay and gaze eastward at the magnificent ridgeline you traversed, filled with awe.
The Howe Sound Crest Trail begins from Porteau Cove on the north side and travels south 32km to Cypress Provincial Park, mostly along ridgelines with views west to Vancouver Island and East to Burwell, Crown, The Judge etc. Its an awesome wilderness adventure and its right in our backyard! Normally you wait until later in the summer to avoid snow, but I reckon the route should be quite ready by June with this special winter we have been having.
We'll do it in 2 days. There are several options for beautiful camping on Saturday night, probably Magnesia Meadows would be our best bet.
There are also numerous options for peak-baggery for those inclined that can be accessed by short side trips. (eg. Mt. Brunswick - tallest in the northshore!, Mt. Harvey)
I say beginner plus because;
1) You must be relatively comfortable with overnight camping while hiking, this isn't a good hike to carry a mega heavy pack and because we'll be traveling around 13-15km each day.
2) There are some slightly scrambley sections around the Lions, you must be comfortable with this. Nothing worse than say, scrambling up the Black Tusk. Much less worse, actually.
These items aside, come!
Check out this link for stoke: http://gripped.com/routes/howe-sound-crest-trail/
Note: I've changed the trip to 2 days unstead of 2.5.