VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Alpine Skills Course (Wedge Group) · Fri. Jul. 10th - Sun. Jul. 12th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Jul. 10th
End: Sunday, Jul. 12th
July 10-12th (Friday to Sunday) I'm offering mountaineering instruction.
The trip will occur in the Wedge Group which offers easily accessible and classic mountaineering objectives.
This instructive trip is a great opportunity for those:
-Who have little to no summer mountaineering experience
-That have little experience with glacier travel
-That have little experience with alpine scrambling
-That have not developed confidence to get into the mountains themselves
-That have been reading all the books but have barely indulged the desire
-Who rock climb and want to get into alpine objectives
-Who ski tour and want to improve their skills for ski mountaineering
How many spots are available?
3 spots for guys
3 spots for girls
Why such a small group?
In many circles, this is a big group for mountaineering! I feel that usual VOC group size wouldn't benefit anybody. 7 of us total allows me to offer better mentorship to the individuals in this trip. Any larger in size and the group might also be harder for me to manage decreasing the safety of the trip.
So what will be taught?
-Alpine scrambling skills and techniques
-Steep snow climbing skills and techniques
-Crevasse rescue skills
-Gear management and application
-Rope management and applications
Who am I?
I go by Sam McKoy. I have been less active with the VOC the past couple of years so newer members might not know me but I'm a good guy to learn from.
In the summer I work part-time with NOLS as a mountaineering and hiking instructor in Alaska and the Yukon amongst other work. In the winter I work ski guiding and am currently an ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide. This is not a guided trip but I will ask that people sign waivers, so be expectant of that.
Because of the limited spots of the trip, the sign-up page will not only be first come first serve. I'm looking for keeners who also have a lot to gain and a lot to offer to the VOC. Its a pass it along kind of thing. Ill definitely take into consideration those who sign up first but I don't want to blot out those who come across this a bit late.