Archive:19Sept2009 Needle Peak
Beginner Friendly Trip to Needle Peak
We will drive up to the trail head, which is just off the Coquihalla Highway, a few KM past the avalanche tunnel. We will follow the route described in "Scrambles in Southwest BC" to the Needle Peak summit. We should plan on being on the freeway leaving Vancouver by 7:00 am. This will give us lots of time to complete the hike, which should take 5-6 hours, round trip. We'll probably even get back to Vancouver in time to partake in your regularly scheduled Saturday night fun.
Who can come?
This is trip is open to everyone, but is perfect for you if you want to try some scrambling. The route is mainly hiking on a trail, but there's some nice scrambling up to the summit. This trip is beginner friendly, so don't worry if you've never done this before - we'll wait for you!
Trip: September 19 Early Saturday morning to Saturday evening.
UPDATE Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, September, 17 @ 6:00pm in the clubroom. Optional meeting, not required if you have your ride organized and you don't have any questions about the trip.
What should you bring
- Non-cotton clothes. This is September on the coast, so it could be shorts and a t-shirt, it could be pants and a sweater. Check the weather before leaving.
- 1 warm thing to wear when we stop moving - a fleece or wool sweater is good
- rainjacket / pants (if it's supposed to rain. Otherwise, a softshell or windbreaker is best)
- toque (if it looks like the weather will be cool)
- hiking boots
- wool or synthetic socks
- bug net and/or repellent (if you're bugged by bugs)
- bearspray (optional - if we're a sizable group, it's unlikely bears will come near us)
- First aid supplies (optional - a few band-aids is never a bad idea)
- ski/trekking poles (not required, but some people like to use them to take the weight off their knees on the way down)
- small backpack to carry your food/water/sweater/etc in.
- Lunch/snacks. For a hike this length, a sandwich, some trail mix/granola bars, and some fruit would be good.
- Water (You'll probably want 2-3 litres).
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 19-9-2009. Please do not sign up for it.|
Sign up for the trip here. No limit on participants.
- Paul L [A]
- Matt Zieleman [B]
- Mary Rider [A]
- Radhika Gupta [A]
- Chantelle Chan [A]
- Maria Karttunen [A]
- Matt Osler [E]
- Karlijn Noest [B]
- Anna Sobieniak [C]
- Ganna Vashchenko [E]
- Ayoe Buhl [C]
- Simon Chow [C]
- Matt Hansell [D]
- Marty Smoragiewicz [C]
- Adrian Armstrong [C]
- Mathieu LeBlanc [D]
- Jon Rothwell [D]
- Mohammad M [D]
- Tyler Hawkins [D]
- Carolyn Grise [E]
- Anette Heggoy- also a bit late, but would love to join!
- Tara Muzumdar - diddo
Please indicate here if you have a car, where you are leaving from and how many people you can transport (not including yourself). If you need a ride, sign up in the space below someone's car
Paul - A, leaving from UBC, 4 spots
- Mary Rider
- Radhika Gupta
- Chantelle Chan
- Maria Karttunen
Zieleman - B, leaving from Langley, 4 spots Getting to Langley from UBC at an early hour may pose some problem. 41->skytrain->502. It's a long transit ride.
- Karlijn Noest
- Breanne Johnson
- Roslyn Johnson
Marty - C, leaving from UBC, 4 spots
- Adrian Armstrong
- Anna sobieniak
- Ayoe Buhl
- Simon Chow
Mohammad - D, leaving from UBC, 4 spots
- Mathieu LeBlanc
- Tyler Hawkins
- Jon Rothwell
- Matt Hansell
Matt - Leaving from new west skytrain station
- Ganna Vashchenko
- Tara Muzumdar
- Anette Heggoy