Archive:2010 Oct 23-24 BrewHutTrip
This page is not finished yet, but you can already sign up
The Brew Hut is our most accessible Hut, and is especially recommended for those who are new to the Club and the area. With a bit of luck, we will drive about 7 kms of logging road, and then hike about 3 kms of forest plus 2 kms of alpine meadows to get to the Hut. The plan is to cut fire wood and get the hut ready for the winter and skiing season. Besides awesome views on nice and sunny days you can hike up to Brew Mountain.
Kathrin Lang, but you can talk to Maki about details if you want; she's pretty busy though.
Just gas for your driver, probably ~ $10. Our Huts are free to VOC Student and Associate Members, and people doing work up there.
When is it?
The trip is Saturday October 16 and Sunday October 17. We'll have a pre-trip meeting on Wednesday October 13 at 7pm in the Clubroom. We'll figure out food groups and cars. Especially if you are new to the club you need to come to the pre-trip meeting. If you can't come, let us know.
- water bottle (at least 2L, unless you know yourself)
- headlamp and batteries
- sun glasses and/or goggles
- pocket knife
- lighter and/or waterproof matches
- first aid kit
- Toilet Paper (natural substitutes may be available)
- insect repellent or bug net (should be not necessary by now)
- if it snowed already: maybe snowshoes
- hiking boots
- warm jacket (fleece or down)
- long underwear (top and bottom)
- toque, mitts
- weatherproof jacket
- weatherproof pants
- Lunch and snacks x2
- Breakfast x1
- Dinner x1
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- ear plugs, because somebody will snore (optional)
Cooking and Eating
- bowl, spoon
- Stove with fuel. If using white gas, for each person bring 75 mL
- hut stove if available, we have to check on fuel though
- 300mL fuel to run each lantern
- Pot and matching pot gripper
- water treatment
How tough is it
Really not very tough. Everybody should be fine!
is 13-15 people. If you are # 16, you should bring a tent
Participants, and comments if you like
You can sign up now, but please (1) don't sign up unless you are really likely to be going on the trip, not because you are "interested", or waiting for a better trip to go on. (2) If you change your mind, remove your name from the list, so you don't deprive others of a place on the trip.
- Roland (I like Brew trips)
- Line (maybe just one day depending on how school is treating me)
- Grace (seeing if can get off work)
- Sam Mckoy (I want to get out of the city as much as possible, this will do)
- Riley Patterson
- Michael Lee (Hell Yes)
- Claire Farnoux
- if you are #16, you should plan to bring a tent
Drivers: please sign up and indicate how many passengers you can take. The logging road is not too bad, but if you have a 2wd, low clearance vehicle, you should park further down the road. People with a 4wd will hopefully volunteer to ferry you and your passengers up the last bit.
Passengers: sign up in one of the cars and contact your driver to arrange place and time for pickup!!!