Archive:29Jan2010 Caspar Creek Intro to Backcountry Skiing
This is a trip for those who want to become familiar with winter camping and skiing in the backcountry without the comfort of a hut. We will be camping outside in the cold and snow,and skiing in the backcountry so participants should have some previous basic camping skills and some skiing skills. Winter Longhikeand Tele School would both be good preparation for this trip.
See main article for details on what this trip involves.
Breanne Johnson is organizing this trip. However, leaders are needed in order to accomodate more beginners. Contact Breanne if you have enough winter camping and skiing experience to share around.
See Intro to Backcountry Skiing main articlefor a detailed equipment list. Pay special attention to the "Ski Hardware" and "Avalanche Safety Gear" sections. Avalanche transceivers, shovels, and probes are mandatory for this trip. You will also need backcountry skis (either telemark or touring), boots, poles, and skins. You will also need a burly overcontainer for your poo bag. We are "packing it in, packing it out" since our group is so large. As an example, an old nalgene bottle works well.
It is recommended that you educate yourself about avalanches before the trip. Consider reading through the online avalanche course.
January 29-30, 2011
We will be skiing to Caspar Creek
6:00pm Jan 26, VOC clubroom
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 29-01-2011. Please do not sign up for it.|
Indicate if you have a car or tent, your skiing level, and if you have AST.
Trip Leaders: Please contact Breanne before signing up to be a trip leader.
- Breanne Johnson (AST1)
- Gili Rosenberg (car, tent, AST1)
- Scott Webster (car, tent, AST2)
- Chris P (tent, AST1)
- Richard So (tent, AST1, powder gangster)
- Christian S. (AST1)
- Matt Parisien (ast1, tent, charming)
- Spencer Rasmussen AST1, decent skier, no car or tent
- Maya Goldstein
- Sherri Tran (no avi, beginner, learned to tele at teleschool)
- Gwyn Thomas (AST 1, two person tent, beginner but have survived a few trips)
- Noriko O (no avi training - uphill skier)
- Lucy Squibb (no car/tent, good skier, AST1)
- Jeff Taylor (no car, 3-season tent only, beginner, no avi)
- Conrad Koziol (survival skier, no avi, 3 season tent)
- Olek Splawinski (car, AST1, sideburns)
- Mariana Gonzalez (no car-3 season tent-beginner)
- Olga Lansdorp (no AST, 3 season tent, have wimpy 2 wheel drive car with winter tires, beginner skier)
- Maddie Crowell (AST1, good skier, tent, possible car)
- Jordan Maynard (2 person tent)
- Mary Rider (no AST, beginner)
Waiting List The more Leaders we get, the more Participants can come!
Ninjas (it's always better to have a few along)
- Skyler "Want to be taught how to backcountry ninja" Des Roches(4-season tent, can ski, avi training, no ninjutsu training)
Directions to trailhead for drivers, taken from the guidebook (see below):
Take highway 99 to Pemberton. Continue past Pemberton to Mt. Currie, and take a right turn, towards Lillooet. The road is flat for this whole section. Near where the road starts ascending, about 17km from Pemberton, and just above Lillooet Lake, there is an avalanche gate (it should be open). Zero your odometer here, and measure 25km to the trailhead. You should pass the Joffre Lakes parking lot at km 13, a large snowshed on your right around km 17, the Cerise Creek winter parking around km 21. We will park just before the bridge over Van Horlick Creek, near the West end of Duffey Lake. If you have crossed that bridge or see Duffey Lake on your left, you have gone too far.
For more info on Caspar Creek, see "Exploring the Coast Mountains on Skis" by John Baldwin, page 142 (3rd edition) and the wiki entry on Caspar Creek.
Drivers, make sure to have all your passengers and be driving over the lions gate bridge by 6:00am Saturday morning. If you intend to make stop at Tim Horton's or elsewhere please leave earlier! We will park at the Caspar Creek trailhead (unsigned, of course!), see directions above.
Indicate where you are leaving from and the number of seats:
Gili's vehicle (UBC)
- Breanne (Fairview)
- Jeff (Fairview)
Scott's vehicle (Oak and 19th)
- Matt P
Olek's vehicle (UBC)
- Noriko (Burrard and 12th)
- Spencer (SW Marine and 41st)
- Conrad (Dunbar and 26th)
Olga's vehicle (wimpy 2 wheel drive) (Commercial)
- Christian S. (Nanaimo)
- Mary (Granville and Broadway)
- Rich So/powder gangsta (North Van)
- Mariana (small, Cambie and 49th)
Gili and Maya (tent + food)
Scott + Ben
Jacob + Skyler + Breanne
Gwynn + Sherry
Jordan + Olga
Jeff + Spencer + Olek
Marianna + Mary
Christian + Noriko (only tent)
Matt P (solo, lonely, etc.) + Conrad K.
Tents should be 4 season.
Won't be at pre-trip but have tents:
Matt H's tent (4 season, 4 person)
Conrad's tent (3 season, 2 man)
Chris P's tent
Matt P's tent (one strong 3+season 2-person, one stronger floorless 2-skinny-person shelter)