Archive:AST1 Jan 2010
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
It is a good idea for anyone who is interested in travelling in the back country to take an avalanche course. Avalanche course students learn about some snow science basics, terrain, route finding, snow stability testing and rescue.
Spaces are limited, and it fills up quickly, so make sure to sign up early if you want a spot. This course is a heck of a lot cheaper than than taking a course open to the public.
This years course is being done by Canada West Mountain School
The course will be exactly the same as this one
It is required that students read the material from CWMS as well as go through the online course before the classroom session.
Dates and Locations
Date: Tuesday, January 12th, 2010
Time: 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Location: Buchanan B141
- January 16th @ Mt. Seymour (conditions permitting, otherwise Whistler)
- January 17th @ Whistler
All Day - arrange your own rides.
- 2 days of instruction
- 1 classroom session
- All course materials (paper handouts and books)
- Avalanche Equipment (Probe, shovel, transceiver)
- Whistler back country pass for Sunday ($40 value)
(Cost is $170 if you already have a whistler pass)
All other costs including but not limited to food, ski, snowshoe rental, travel expenses will be your own responsibility. Car pooling will be organized later.
The cost is based on a course with 8 people. If less than 8 people sign up the course will get cancelled and you will get your money back.
No refunds After you have paid there is no refunds unless the course if cancelled (if you can't go, you will have to sell your spot to someone else)
Signing up here does not guarantee you a spot. YOU MUST PAY at the club room and sign up. $210 for ppl without lift tickets, $170 for those who are pass holders. Any exec can sign you up in the club room. The best times to go are gear hours or between 12pm and 1pm. Please e-mail Line when you have paid. You must be confirmed before Monday, Dec 14th so that I can give your name and contact info to Canada West and pick up your booklets etc.
Confirmed and Paid
When you have paid add your name and make sure that your contact info on the members list is correct.
- Sam Mason, 778-229-3384, sammymason -at- gmail.com
- Lewis Kitchen, 778-385-7472, lewk -at- interchange.ubc.ca
- Jesse Janssen, 778-242-4591, jjanssen -at- interchange.ubc.ca
- Elliott Boake [email protected] 604 346 7636
- Fraser Foulds, 604-505-3801, fraser.foulds -at- rogers.com
- Anette Heggoy, 778-848-1589, heggoy -at- stud.ntnu.no
- Cameron Brown [email protected] 778 991 8763
- Heather Rodger, 604-317-4003, heatherrodger1 -at- hotmail.com
- Len Goff ltgoff-at-geeemail 604 970 5252
- Ian Mac toppeak8848 -at- yahoo.ca
- Madison Crowell [email protected] 970 729 1751
- Mireille Larosa, 604-506-0225, mireille.larosa -at- integrogroup.com
- Martin Archambault, 604-657-4176, larosarchambault -at- gmail.com
- Caroline Villiard, 778-887-7591, carovilliard -at- gmail.com
- Kaan Williams 604 376 0779 kaan.williams-at-gmail.com
- Alireza Sharif, 778 237 8306, asharif_b -at- yahoo.com
There is only going to be two Whistler-Seymour courses, so these courses are now full. Line V. might organize another course in one of the following weekends, if enough people harass her
- Cameron Crossley
- Zach Wade
- Daniel Jakob
- Anna Sobieniak
- Nina Varsava
- Hafsa Ishtiaq
- Anthony Melnick
- Alix MacKay
- Forrest Allen
- Omar Abril
- Mylene Lejay
- Car (number of spots, leaving from ... )
- Sam's car (Sam + 3 passengers, leaving from Richmond both days but can swing by UBC and/or Kits if needed)
- Passengers TBD once it's figured out how/if the group is getting split up.
- Alix's car (Alix + 1 passenger, or 4 passengers if I have a roof rack by Jan, North Van but can pick people up from other spots if needed)
- 1 Caroline Villiard