Archive:Self Propelled From UBC to Mt.Baker
Self Propelled UBC to MT. BAKER
Tentative Dates Fed 20-23 2009 or 18-21st?
The goal as envisioned thus far.
- Cycle the roughly 130km from UBC the parking lot of Mt.Baker on the first day. Camp somewhere out of harms way.
- Set out early to gain as much elevation on day two and find an suitable bivy.
- Summit early day three, ski out to parking lot in all our glory, and cycle back to Glacier (the closest town to the ski hill) for beer and hearty food before slumber.
- slog the reaming 100+kms home...
Doesn't this sound like fun... anybody?
Time to get serious. Who can make the 18th - 21st?
- Devon (would prefer 16/17th- 20th
Who can make 20-23rd?
How would this work? My thought was to try to load things on panniers with light skis on back. Would you do this, or bring a trailer? -cpbl (I'm signing off this trip. While being ambitious is fun, succeeding is too. I think a shake down trip of a weekend cycle there and back, sans skis, is a good idea for me, and leaving the trip for spring (in a high snow year?) might be a good move too. Ill be cheering you on, though! - c, feb 8.)
I have a little BOB trailer which would be my preference. Then I'd strap the skis to the bike...
CPBL: Yes!!!!!!! But I would need to be back by 22nd, ie shift to 19th-22nd. I teach on 23rd. Previous week is reading week at UBC.
Len Goff: This is so ambitious it might just work... I'm definately interested, I'll have to see closer in if I can miss class though. Were you planning on renting some stuff down there in order to avoid carrying it (e.g. skis)?
Eric Deal: I am also very intersted in doing this trip. The MAP