Archive:Snowshoe Abomination 2007-Golden Ears
We'll show up Friday (Dec 14) evening and go by headlamp on the West Canyon Trail from the Gold Creek Campground to Alder Flats, where we'll make camp. On Saturday we'll head up the trail until the trail starts heading though avalanche terrain, at which point we'll head straight up hill and gain Panarama Ridge. We'll follow the ridge to the snow field, and make camp. Sunday we'll wake up early and head for the summits, hitting both if time permits.
December 14th - 16th
December 12th, 7:00pm in the clubroom
This trip assumes little to no experience, and is aimed at getting people out for their first summit, but you do need to be somewhat in shape. It would be really helpful if someone who can use an avalanche beacon other than Jeff came along to dig Jeff out in the unlikely event that he gets avalanched, though.
Things to bring
- Avalanche gear (shovel, probe, beacon)
- Snowshoes (they need to be big. The rentals MEC gives out are too small for fresh snow, and normally get used only on trails that see a lot of traffic like Cypress. If you ask them, though, they'll give you tails that provide extra flotation for free. You need these.)
- Something to strap your snow shoes to your pack with--you'll only be wearing them half of the time
- Headlamp with lots of batteries
- The clothing you need to keep warm at 1700m. Ask people for advice if you're not sure.
- Sleeping bag and mat
- A couple water bottles
- Ice axe
- Boots with gaiters
Not much else, otherwise your pack will be too heavy.
We'll need about one stove for every three people. When you sign up, please indicate if you've got a stove.
Please arrange for tent space ahead of time. If you don't have a place lined up in someone's tent, you might just be sleeping in the latrine.
- Jeff Mottershead (Stove)
- Sophia (stove)
- Sophia's Friend
- Emma V-B (tent + stove)
- Julia Tuodr
- Allison Boothe (possibly stove? also willing to help carry!)
- Samantha Landa (will bring love and food?)
- Tegan Adams
- Michael Kaye
- Champagne (Someone needs to rescue Jeff if he gets avalanched)
- Lindsay Rogers (stove and 3 season tent, but if someone (Jade?) has cozy 4 season with extra room please let me know!)
- Moritz Bonse (first trip, no stove, no tent, but really no problem with carrying and curious about the trip)
- Bryce Lencoe
- Amy Suess
If you can drive, please mark down your vehicle with the number of available seats.
If you are signing up for someone's vehicle, only put your name beside empty numbers. If there are no empty numbers, it means the vehicle is already full. Adding another spot doesn't actually add a seat in the vehicle. Don't give up, though. Most people with cars sign up at the last minute to keep things exciting.
- Lindsay's Car
- Jade Littlewood
- Samantha Landa
- Jeff's Stinky Van
- Emma V-B
- Julia Tudor(no tent, anyone have room in theirs?)
- Bryce 778-846-7873 (can pick up at UBC if needed, but leaving from just off campus)
People needing rides
- Santi (probably same as Sophia)
- Michael Kaye (room for one more?)
- Jade Littlewood (i have four season tent but no stove)
- Sophia (the ride borrowing is not looking optimistic...)
- Sophia's friend