|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
Richard is organizing an intermediate-advanced friendly skiing trip to Ipsoot Mountain. People interested in participating should have winter camping skills, have carried an overnight pack and have been on backcountry skis before and can handle all kinds of Coastal snow (elephant snot, crust, ice, etc). This trip will only take place if the avalanche conditions are moderate or low, as we will be travelling across avalanche paths and complex terrain. Ipsoot Mountain is a classic winter ski trip, and a relatively strenuous weekend trip. If the weather is ideal, this may turn into a 3 day trip allowing ascents of Rhododendron, Miller, or Sugarloaf also.
Early mornings, dark nights, cold fingers, numb toes, and breakable crust guaranteed.
We will organize tents (4 season only), stoves, rides, dinners at the trip meeting. You should have your own skis and boots that are compatible with your feet.
If the weather changes and it's going to be miserable and cold and wet, we may change this to a daytrip to somewhere else.
Feb 5-6, 2010 (Tentative)
See Gear_lists#ski_tent_trip. You need this stuff to survive, really.
Note that you can borrow equipment from the club for free. Gear_rental does require a cash deposit, however.
Please consult the above links for all information regarding proper skiing clothing and gear. In winter especially, none of your clothing should be made out of cotton. Anything wool or synthetic is probably safe. Just remember, Cotton Kills.
Stuff you need from the club probably includes:
- Skis (bindings are adjustable, ask when you pick them up, make sure they fit your boots)
- Skins (ask the QM - they let your skis go uphill, quite necessary for this trip. Make sure they fit your skis)
- Boots (make sure they fit your feet, and your skis)
- Avy transceiver
Please also wear a bright red/orange/yellow/green ski jacket if you own one.
There will be a maximum group size of 8 people for this trip. Feel free to sign up whenever, as this trip may happen early in the season or later.
- Richard So
- Ignacio (can drive)
- Greg West (can drive)
- Nick M
- Artem Bylinskii (presumably driver 1 and driver 2 aren't actually someones' names)
- Doris Leong (can't actually make the current tentative date, but keen to go if on some other weekend)
- Andrew Maurer (can drive, no chains)
- Olivier Thommen (needs a ride, no tent)