MEC Gear Swap
Twice per year MEC holds a great big gear swap. Have a look at their website: MEC Vancouver Gear Swap
Due to the popularity of the event, people will show up and sleep in front of the store during the evening of Saturday st to get the best choices and deals. Many VOCers have done the trip over the years and has become basically a tradition.
Usually the way they run things is to only allow people into the tent where the swap takes place in waves. If you are one of people in the first wave then you will get the best choice. It doesn't really make any difference if you are the first, or the 20th, as long as you are in the first wave.
Since this is a sleepover, you will need a few items.
- Foamie (Therm-a-Rest)
- Sleeping bag of sufficient temperature rating
- Warm clothes
- Ear plugs are a big plus (We're on Broadway!)
- Something to kill time (You know what to do...)
- Snacks + water
- Lots of Cash (They only accept cash sales. The amount you want to bring really depends on what you plan on buying. Bring several hundred dollars if you don't know what you want, more if you want to buy something expensive like good skis.)
- A camping chair is always a plus, especially if you plan on arriving early
MEC Gear Swap Spring 2011
Date: May 15thth, 2011
Time: Sunday, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Location: MEC Vancouver
What's on Sale
This being the Spring Swap, MEC gear is likely to be dominated by winter clothing and hardware - insulated jackets, waterproof breathables, winter sleeping bags, skis, ski boots, snowshoes etc.
The community tables could hold all sorts of goodies.
Buying Personal Gear
Post your estimated arrival times so we can all "hurry up and wait" together