Matthew's Cheese Tortellini with Pesto
- 250 g packet dry cheese tortellini
- 1 packet dry pesto mix
- 1 zucchini, dehydrated
- 1 onion, dehydrated
- 1 bell pepper, dehydrated
- 30 g dry sundried tomatoes
- 150 g parmesan cheese
- 3 tsp garlic powder (can be pre-mixed with parmesan)
- 1 tsp salt (can be pre-mixed with parmesan)
- 100 ml olive oil
- Put dehydrated veggies, sundried tomatoes and pesto mix into pot.
- Cover (barely) with water, boil for a minute and then set aside (e.g. in your mug, if you only have 1 pot). Veggies will continue rehydrating while the pasta cooks.
- Cook pasta; drain.
- Add pesto-veggies, cheese, garlic pow, salt, and oil.
- Mix well.
- The packets of dry cheese tortellini and pesto mix are available at Dan-d-Pak.
- Pre-mix the garlic powder and salt with the parmesan for easy transport.
- You can substitute other dehydrated veggies. Mushrooms also work well.
- These nalgene containers are a good, light, and mess-free way of transporting high-calorie olive oil. Butter also works well.
- This is an oily meal. Get the last trace of that precious oil out of your pot / bowl (and have less hassle doing dishes) with a small spatula, e.g. this one.
- Capers add a nice additional je ne sais quoi to this dish, but contain water, and are therefore heavy. Carry them at your own risk. Maybe I'll try dehydrating some.