Archive:Slide shows 2009
- January 7th: Alpine Climbing in Alaska by Nick Elson
- January 14th: Working and Travelling in Africa by Susie Dain-Owens
- January 21st: From Norway to Uganda: Tales of a Disoriented Traveler by Afton Halloran
- February 11th: Ski Wild! John Baldwin BUCH A100
Blessed by some of the deepest snowfalls on the continent, the Coast Mountains offer some of the finest ski mountaineering in North America. John has recently published a completely revised third edition of his guidebook “Exploring the Coast Mountains on Skis”. He will give an overview of some of his favourite places for backcountry skiing in the the Coast Mountains, from local slopes to trips deep in the wilderness across remote icefields that stretch north to Alaska.
- March 18th: Gap Year Adventures in New Zealand: Tramping, WWOOFing and Budget Backpacking by Sarah Long
- March 25th: Tibet: From Lhasa to Shishapangma and Back, by Gili Rosenberg and Maya Goldstein
- September 23th: Mike and Boris' (non)hardcore trip to (almost) Cathedral Lakes by Boris Khramtsov
- September 30th: No slide show; instead come to WOOD 6 for Intro night 2009 An introduction to the VOC for new and prospective members
- October 7th: No slide show; Longhike dryschool occuring in Wood 1, at 6:30
- October 14th: Go Global: Water Sanitation in Lesotho
Five UBC Engineering students worked in Lesotho as part of the Go Global and Applied Science International Service Learning Program. The team worked with Mohoma Temeng, a community based organization, two students from the university of Lesotho, and local community members to implement a sanitation system in Qacha’s Neck, a rural area of Lesotho. Presented by Dan Boland, Ross Coleman, Sam Bailey, and Ricardo Segovia. The 5th member of the team, Laura Jones, is currently on a co-op and is unable to participate.
- October 21st: Monthly Leave No Trace Seminar: Seven Principles
The first night of the new Monthly Leave No Trace Seminar. This is a class series that will teach low impact backcountry travel based upon the Leave No Trace Organization's principles and ethics. We will start off the series with an overview of the seven principles and a little history of the organization.
- October 28th: VOC huts and trip planning by Christian Veenstra
After seeing all the enthusiasm in the new members of the club, El Presidente Christian Veenstra has agreed to put on a slideshow to introduce all the VOC huts available for use, as well as give some pointers on what to do if you want to run your own trip.
- November 4th: Backpacking South America by Lewis Kitchen
After spending 6 weeks backpacking across South America, and learning a few things on the way, Lewis Kitchen has some pointers and a few stories about travelling with no planning, and no language skills
- November 17 @ 7:30PM Irving K. Barber, room 182 : Flakes, tele ski movie by Black Diamond
- November 18th: Monthly Leave No Trace Seminar
- November 25th: Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture
- December 2th: Slacking by Robin Avery
Robin has been slacking for years now, sending highlines across both gullies on the Chief, at Monkey Face, and above the trails down to Wreck Beach. This slideshow will be a collection of some of his stories