General directions for making thai curries in the back country. For amounts of curry paste and coconut milk, check the packaging. For amounts of the rice and vegetables, use your own judgement.
Quantities given make 2 large portions (approximately 6-7 cups total).
- ~50g Thai curry paste (red, yellow or green). There are many different brands of curry paste that come in different sized packages. How much you want to use will vary greatly depending on the branch and your spice tolerance
- 1 or 2 packages powdered coconut milk (50g each)
- 100g dehydrated vegetables (try peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, onion)
- 300g (about 2.5-3 cups ) instant rice
- 1L water
Single Pot Variation
- Add water and vegetables to pot. Boil for a few minutes to rehydrate. How much time is required depends on what vegetables are used.
- Meanwhile, thin curry paste with a little water and add to pot. When nearly ready, add powdered coconut milk and stir to dissolve.
- Add instant rice into the mix and wait for it to rehydrate.
Two Pot Variation
With two pots, make the rice and the curry seperately. This allows individual people to adjust their own spice level by serving themselves more rice and less curry. This can be done on a single stove by boiling all the water first, making the curry, then reboiling the water for the instant rice.
- boil all the water in the larger pot
- add the vegetables to a small pot and just cover with boiling water. Set the remaining hot water aside
- Boil the vegetables for a few minutes to rehydrate. How much time is required depends on what vegetables are used.
- Add curry paste and cocunut milk, stir and set aside
- Reboil water in the large pot and make the instant rice
- Serve rice and curry seperately
- Experiment at home with the curry pastes. Green curries are very hot.
- Add deep fried tofu puffs for interesting texture. These are available packaged in the refrigerated section of Asian supermarkets.
- Curry paste is readily available in most supermarkets.
- Powdered coconut milk may be a little more difficult to find. Dan-d-market at Broadway & Macdonald always has it in stock. Choices also carries it.