VOC hut registration
About Hut Registration
If you know you will be at a VOC Hut at a given time please post here to let people know. Note that this is not a reservation and does not grant you exclusive use, or even priority over others who may not have posted, but it's "the right thing to do." Registering here will help prevent multiple large groups from arriving at the hut at the same time. The rule for VOC huts is that there is always room for one more (this works both ways).
There is no priority based on order of registration. Feel free to register yourself anyway even if the hut is already at or near capacity, just be prepared to deal with the situation if it turns out to be crowded. Not all parties who register to use a hut actually end up going, so there is some leeway for "overbooking".
We suggest non-VOC members give VOC a donation of $10 per person per night; you could send it to us or put it in the blue lock box inside the hut.
The Burton Hut in Sphinx Bay does not have a donation box, but we still maintain it, and your donation is welcome. In addition, if you stay at Sphinx, or anywhere in Garibaldi park, you must pay BC Parks $10 per person per night, even if you are a VOC membership-paying person. This may be paid online, the link is on the BC Parks/ Garibaldi website or go to: https://secure.camis.com/DiscoverCamping/Backcountry/Garibaldi?Map The penalty for not paying is $144 per person.
Registration vs. Reservation
Remember - it's not a reservation. You are registering not only to tell people that you are going, but also to receive information in case the hut gets too full for your liking. That's why you need to include your contact information (for example with a link to your user:talk page using ~~~~ or ~~~). Feel free to register far in advance, but remember that other people may plan trips on a different timescale (especially VOC types, who are categorically disorganized students who think 2 weeks out counts as advanced planning).
The VOC frequently organizes trips to our huts on short notice - we're a large club and demand for these trips is high. VOC members are very tolerant of cramped conditions in our huts. If you would prefer to avoid crowded situations, please register below so the VOC and other users can contact you to coordinate use.
How to Register
- Sign in to the VOCWiki on the log in page. You may need to create an account, which can be done from the log in page. Include your email address in your account information. It will not be exposed to the public but it will allow people to contact you with the "email this user" feature.
- Edit this Wiki page using the edit tab. Or just edit the subsection you want to change using the edit buttons to the right of each heading. See help:contents for help with editing the wiki.
- Add a line to the appropriate hut section with your registration. Include the following information:
- The date you plan to use the hut
- The size of your group. Do not describe your party size as "hut full". This isn't a very good descriptor - it's way too subjective. Try and give some real numbers, even if it's only an estimate or a range. We don't ask that you're so specific, but please try and estimate a number and update that to be as accurate as you can. VOC trips, in particular, can usually be found on the trip agenda - so if you are a VOC Member, you can see not only how many people are coming, but even what they're names are and who's driving (if the organizer is keen they will have a link directly in the hut registration page).
- Your contact information - your phone number, email address, or a link to your user or user:talk page (easily created with ~~~~ or ~~~). If you have registered your email with the VOCWiki, other people can contact you through your user:talk page without revealing your email address.
- If your chosen date becomes too busy for your liking, you may move your registration to another date.
- Update your registration if any details about your group change
- Remove your registration after your trip is complete.
Brew Hut Registration
The Brew Hut sleeps 12 in relative comfort. In a pinch there is enough space for 16 to sleep in the loft and 3 more on the sleeping bench downstairs, with nobody on the wet floor, but it's very tight. The current record is 21 people, but that's way beyond comfortable.
Warning - as of 28 April 2013 the Coleman stove may be unreliable. Bring your own stove up when you visit Brew. Please use firewood sparingly (or carry some up if you don't mind). The amount of wood that is there may not last for the whole winter.
Date: group of X, contact information
- January 10-12, 2013 Group of 15+ people. Contact Peter pmwojnar(at)gmail(dot)com
- January 25-26, 2014 Crossna Group of 16+ people. Contact Gloria - yzhangk(at)gmail(dot)com
- February 1-2, 2014 Group of 8+ people. Contact Michael - ucantravel(at)gmail(dot)com
- February 8-9, 2014 Group of 18 VOC'ers Contact rolandburt(at)gmail(dot)com
- March 1-2, 2014 Group of 8 people. Contact Brad - bradv98(at)hotmail.
- March 1-2, 2014 Group of 6 people. Contact Chris - chris(dot)yuen(at)live(dot)ca
- March 14-16, 2014 Group of 6 people. Contact Aaron - firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 15-16, 2014 Group of 4 people. Contact Neil - wilsonnp@gmaildotcom
- March 22-23, 2014 Group of 8 people. Contact Silvia - email@example.com
- March 22-23, 2014 Group of 8 people. Contact Marc - firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 28-30, 2014 Group of 6-8 people. Contact Nicole - email@example.com
Brian Waddington Hut Registration
The Brian Waddington Hut can handle about 24 people in the loft upstairs.
We discourage people from going up there between August 15 and October 15 as the grizzly bears up there need a little privacy at this time.
- LOST CAMERA LENS A camera lens in a black case went missing on a recent visit to the Brian Waddington Hut. Please keep your eye out for it. Money Reward! Likely location: http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/Zachary_Winters/MissingLensLocation_zps935c42cc.jpg contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or (509) 993-8984
- Feb 8 - 10, 2014 VOC trip, hut is likely completely full with smelly, farting, snoring VOCers.
- Feb 14 - 23, 2014: VOC trip likely during Reading Break, please contact the VOC before planning a trip during this time
- Feb 14 - 16, 2014 party of 4 non VOCers - jenn.brayden(at)gmail(dot)com
- Mar 6, 2014 - Mar 9, 2014 Party of 10 ACC Vancouver, email email@example.com.
- March 8th- march 9th Party of about 10 VOCers, email caitlin: info at ubc-voc(dot)com
- March 9th- march 15th Party of ~7 non-VOCers, email jesse: jparis at gmail dotcom
- March 10th - March 15th Party of 4 non-VOCers, firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 14th- march 16th Party of about 4 (private), email Dennis: email@example.com
- March 22-23, 2014 Group of 6-8 people. Contact Nicole - firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 26-29, 2014 Party of 4 non-VOCer's. Contact Chris- email@example.com
- March 26-29, 2014 Group of 2 non-VOCers. Contact Matt - mattshredx(at)gmail(dot)com
Burton Hut Registration
The Burton Hut sleeps 10 comfortably and 15 is cozy. Make sure Garibaldi lake is frozen before you try to cross it. Typically it is frozen by the start of February.
- Feb 8 - 10, 2014 Family Day Weekend Powderfest, hut full
- Feb 8 - 10, 2014 Party of 4ish contact 
- Feb 14 - Feb 23, 2014: VOC trip likely during Reading Break, please contact the VOC before planning a trip during this time
- March 1 - 2, 2014 CROSSNA Annual trip for Leo, Party of 21 ppl(at least 17 ppl will stay in the hut) Hut will be very FULL. contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 8 - 9, 2014 2 people contact: email@example.com
- March 15-16-17, 2014 2 people (non VOC members) contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Harrison Hut Registration
Date: group of X, contact information
- August 31st-Sept 2nd 2013: Group of 3 people, ryan_stelzer at hotmail.com (or find me on VOC members page, Ryan Stelzer)
- December 28th 2013 - January 1st 2014: Group of 4 people for NYs skiing, email@example.com
- April 19th, 2014 - April 27th, 2014: Group of 8 people for spring skiing, kuharicm at google's email service
- March 1st thru March 8th: Group of 5 for skiing, firstname.lastname@example.org
Keith's Hut Registration
Note that Keith's Hut is not built or maintained by VOC, but if you want to indicate that you will be using it, you are welcome to do so. Most users do not register, so don't be surprised to find the hut full to bursting with people who did not register here.
- November 8-10, 2013 Group of 8 people. email chris - pickitupdropit(at)hotmail.com
- March 21-23, 2014 (Snowspider - March 24-25, 2014) Party of 4. Contact Chris - email@example.com
Sentinal Bay Glaciology Huts Registration
- March 29-30, 2014 Group of 6 people. email Chris - christopher.beddow(at)gmail.com