VOC hut registration
About Hut Registration
If you know you will be at a VOC Hut at a given time please post here to let people know. Note that this is not a reservation and does not grant you exclusive use, or even priority over others who may not have posted, but it's "the right thing to do." Registering here will help prevent multiple large groups from arriving at the hut at the same time. The rule for VOC huts is that there is always room for one more (this works both ways).
There is no priority based on order of registration. Feel free to register yourself anyway even if the hut is already at or near capacity, just be prepared to deal with the situation if it turns out to be crowded. Not all parties who register to use a hut actually end up going, so there is some leeway for "overbooking".
We suggest non-VOC members give VOC a donation of $10 per person per night; you could send it to us or put it in the blue lock box inside the hut.
The Burton Hut in Sphinx Bay does not have a donation box, but we still maintain it, and your donation is welcome. In addition, if you stay at Sphinx, or anywhere in Garibaldi park, you must pay BC Parks $10 per person per night, even if you are a VOC membership-paying person. This may be paid online, the link is on the BC Parks/ Garibaldi website or go to: https://secure.camis.com/DiscoverCamping/Backcountry/Garibaldi?Map The penalty for not paying is $144 per person.
Registration vs. Reservation
Remember - it's not a reservation. You are registering not only to tell people that you are going, but also to receive information in case the hut gets too full for your liking. That's why you need to include your contact information (for example with a link to your user:talk page using ~~~~ or ~~~). Feel free to register far in advance, but remember that other people may plan trips on a different timescale (especially VOC types, who are categorically disorganized students who think 2 weeks out counts as advanced planning).
The VOC frequently organizes trips to our huts on short notice - we're a large club and demand for these trips is high. VOC members are very tolerant of cramped conditions in our huts. If you would prefer to avoid crowded situations, please register below so the VOC and other users can contact you to coordinate use.
How to Register
- Sign in to the VOCWiki on the log in page. You may need to create an account, which can be done from the log in page. Include your email address in your account information. It will not be exposed to the public but it will allow people to contact you with the "email this user" feature.
- Edit this Wiki page using the edit tab. Or just edit the subsection you want to change using the edit buttons to the right of each heading. See help:contents for help with editing the wiki.
- Add a line to the appropriate hut section with your registration. Include the following information:
- The date you plan to use the hut
- The size of your group. Do not describe your party size as "hut full". This isn't a very good descriptor - it's way too subjective. Try and give some real numbers, even if it's only an estimate or a range. We don't ask that you're so specific, but please try and estimate a number and update that to be as accurate as you can. VOC trips, in particular, can usually be found on the trip agenda - so if you are a VOC Member, you can see not only how many people are coming, but even what they're names are and who's driving (if the organizer is keen they will have a link directly in the hut registration page).
- Your contact information - your phone number, email address, or a link to your user or user:talk page (easily created with ~~~~ or ~~~). If you have registered your email with the VOCWiki, other people can contact you through your user:talk page without revealing your email address.
- If your chosen date becomes too busy for your liking, you may move your registration to another date.
- Update your registration if any details about your group change
- Remove your registration after your trip is complete.
Brew Hut Registration
The Brew Hut sleeps 12 in relative comfort. In a pinch there is enough space for 16 to sleep in the loft and 3 more on the sleeping bench downstairs, with nobody on the wet floor, but it's very tight. The current record is 21 people, but that's way beyond comfortable.
Warning - as of 28 April 2013 the Coleman stove has issues. It does not turn off properly and it leaks gas. Bring your own stove up when you visit Brew.
Please use firewood sparingly. VOC just spent about $5k to fly in wood that may, if we are careful, last five years.
Date: group of X, contact information
- May 3-4, 2014 Group of 9 people. Contact Neil - wilsonnpatgmail.com
- May 17-18, 2014 Two adults and 1 baby --Bigbadbasstrombone 09:51, 17 May 2014 (PDT)
- May 24-25, 2014 Group of 15 VOCers. Contact deb.conrady[at]gmail
- July 18- July 20, 2014 Group of 20 non-VOCers. THE HUT WILL BE FULL!!! Contact msafox AT gmail DOT com
- July 25-27, 2014 Helocopter loads of firewood should be arriving Saturday morning. Probably we will have a carload at the hut Friday and Saturday nights.
Brian Waddington Hut Registration
The Brian Waddington Hut can handle about 24 people in the loft upstairs.
We discourage people from going up there between August 15 and October 15 as the grizzly bears up there need a little privacy at this time.
- LOST CAMERA LENS A camera lens in a black case went missing on a recent visit to the Brian Waddington Hut. Please keep your eye out for it. Money Reward! Likely location: http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/Zachary_Winters/MissingLensLocation_zps935c42cc.jpg contact: [email protected] or (509) 993-8984
- April 8- April 13, 2014 Group of 3 non-VOCers. Contact Lisa - [email protected]
- June 14- June 15, 2014 Tentatively, group of 10 VOCers. Contact Caitlin at the main VOC email address, Info@
- June 28 - June 30, 2014 2 non-VOCers. Contact Graham - graham (dot) snowden at gmail.com
- July 11 or 12 - July 13, 2014 Group of 9 non-VOCers, + 1 or 2 dogs. Contact Steve - smattucci (at) hotmail.com
- July 12 - 14 Group of 6 non-VOCers. Contact Robin - robin avery <at> gmail
- July 18 - 20 Group of ~8 non-VOCers. Contact Conrad - conrad dot brander (at) gmail (dot) com
- August 1st - 4th Group of 6 non-VOCers. Contact Melissa - sweetignorance (at) gmail (dot) com
- Aug 2-4 Group of ~12 mostly VOCers. Contact Colin - cemvincent (at) gmail (dot) com
- Aug 2-4 Group of ~7 non-VOCers. Contact Eileen - ebistrisky (at) effectiveconsulting (do
Burton Hut Registration
The Burton Hut sleeps 10 comfortably and 15 is cozy. Make sure Garibaldi lake is frozen before you try to cross it. Typically it is frozen by the start of February.
- April 19-21 2014; Group of 4, contact: schmitt dot veronika at gmail dot com
- April 21-22 2014; Group of 3, contact: derek dot badner at hotmail dot com
Harrison Hut Registration
Date: group of X, contact information
- May 17 to 21, 2014: Group of two for skiing, bvanstraaten at gmail
July 12 to 15, 2014: Group of 3 non-VOCers, contact Barry- vorticity at shaw dot ca
Aug 2 to 4, 2014 Group of 6 non- and former-VOC'ers, [email protected]
Keith's Hut Registration
Note that Keith's Hut is not built or maintained by VOC, but if you want to indicate that you will be using it, you are welcome to do so. Most users do not register, so don't be surprised to find the hut full to bursting with people who did not register here. The Hut has space for 15 people, but very often over 25 people sleep all over the place, dogs included.
- March 21-23, 2014 (Snowspider - March 24-25, 2014) Party of 4. Contact Chris - [email protected]
- March 25-27, 2014 Party of 3. Contact Michael- ucantravel at gmail dot com
Sentinal Bay Glaciology Huts Registration
- March 29-30, 2014 Group of 6 people. email Chris - christopher.beddow(at)gmail.com
- ""March 22, 2014"" Group of 6 people. email Chloe - [email protected]