Vegetarian Stew with Dumplings
Serves 2 (large portions)
This recipe uses dehydrated (not to be confused with freeze dried) vegetables. You can make these yourself at home with a dehydrator or in your oven on a low temperature.
- 100g dried potatoes
- 25g dried tomatoes
- 15g dried onions
- 50g bulgar wheat
- 30g beef stock powder (or boullion cubes)
- 30g any other dried vegetables (zucchini, bell peppers and yams are recommended)
This dumpling recipe is from the Joy of Cooking. Other dumpling recipes should work just as well.
- 1c flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2c hot water
- Boil 1L water.
- Remove 1/2c hot water from the pot for dumplings and melt the butter into it.
- Add stew mixture to the pot and simmer.
- Combine 1/2c hot water, butter, and dumpling mix in a 4 cupper. The mixture should be quite dry. Keep it warm for 4 minutes in your down jacket to rise.
- Spoon bite sized dumplings into the stew. They should float at the top and rise as they cook. Simmer for about 10 minutes after this point to cook the dumplings.