Archive:12Feb2011 Backcountry Skiing Trip to Phelix Hut
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
A long week-end trip to Phelix Hut. The purpose of this trip is to get to Phelix Hut on Saturday, Feb 12, go yo-yoing and touring, exploring the peaks around on Sunday - depending on the weather and the number of experienced folks in the trip, and leave the hut on Monday morning, Feb 14. Skiers are preferred (experienced snowshoers who have been there before are also welcome). Even though is this trip could be considered "beginner friendly",this is not a place to learn; only people with some minimum backcountry experience should join this trip, especially if we have only a limited number of experienced folks for support.
Don't forget to bring your music instruments, cards... for the hut! I also hope you like melted cheese smell, as I am planning to prepare a cheese fondue in the hut on Saturday evening. People interested, please write F for full portion (200-250g) or H for half portion after you name in the list. Hopefully the weather will be better than expected (snow expected on Saturday and Sunday). If we are stuck in the hut due to weather, we could shorten the trip and leave on Sunday.
We will try organizing this trip on the wiki and message board - no pre-trip meeting.
Note - this trip will only run if a couple of people with good avalanche know-how sign up. Anybody interested please give me a hand!
If any questions or comments, email Olivier T on the message board.
The trip is Feb 12th - 14th, 2010
The days are short, and the hut is warm, so you don't need to bring a whole lot on this trip.
This page has a good list of what people bring on a standard ski hut trip: Gear_lists#ski_hut_trip.
A basic list to start with is:
- Skis, poles and skins.
- A set of non-cotton clothes
- A wool sweater or fleece
- Some sort of waterproof(ish) layer
- Gloves or mitts
- Headlamp - ESSENTIAL
- Sunglasses and sunscreen. (We're hoping for good weather)
- Shovel, Beacon, Probe
- Food (Two Dinners - one if you eat the fondue, three lunches, and two breakfasts.)
- Sleeping bag + mat
- Fork and tea cup for the cheese fondue!
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 12-2-2011. Please do not sign up for it.|
Current limit for trip participants is 15. We'll may take more, but this depends on the number of people with avalanche know-how.
Signup for More Experienced folks / Organizers
Please email Olivier if you're adding your name to the list
- Olivier (skiing, no avi, no car (would rent one if really needed), F)
- Breanne (tentative, skiing, AST 1, no car?, F?)
- Christian S. (tentative, need to be back Sunday night, ski, AST, no car, F)
- Philippe Le Billon (tentative, need to be back Sunday night, ski, AST, no car, H)
Trip size depends on how many 'experienced' type people sign up. For now I'll cap it at 15, but we might not have enough seats for everyone in cars. Please sign up and indicate your avalanche experience and if you have a car.
- Spencer Rasmussen (AST1, no car)
- Samantha Drove (ast, ski, have truck, need to be back sun night, could drive up fri night) F
- Michael Kupa (ast, skiing, no car, need to be back sunday night, could drive up fri night, F)
- Erika Kirchnawy (ast, skiing, no car, need to be back sunday night, could drive up fri night, F)
Drivers and Passengers
Please indicate here if you have a car, where you are leaving from and how many people you can transport. Passengers, don't just sign up. Contact your driver and ask to be a passenger, discuss departure time and place.
Driver 1 [UBC, 4-5 passengers]
Driver 2 
Driver 3