Difference between revisions of "Archive:2010 Oct 16-17 BrewHutTrip"
|Line 131:||Line 131:|
# Stephanie Mueller
# Stephanie Mueller
# Sahriar Kabir
# Sahriar Kabir
# Monika Hermanova (I have a three persons tent and I am willing to rent a car)
= Rides =
= Rides =
Revision as of 12:06, 8 October 2010
Brew Hut III nearing completion
The Brew Hut is our most accessible Hut, and is especially recommended for those who are new to the Club and the area. With a bit of luck, we will drive about 7 kms of logging road, and then hike about 3 kms of forest plus 2 kms of alpine meadows to get to the Hut. The Brew Hut had a lot of attention this year. We did some renovations, replacing tar paper and windows, some painting,... The plan is to cut fire wood and get the hut ready for the winter and skiing season. So we might do some more painting and other stuff. Besides awesome views on nice and sunny days you can hike up to Brew Mountain and if we have some maps and a compass as well as GPS we can learn how to use them!
Kathrin Lang, but you can talk to Maki about details if you want; she's pretty busy though.
Just gas for your driver, probably ~ $10. Our Huts are free to VOC Student and Associate Members, and people doing work up there.
When is it?
The trip is Saturday October 16 and Sunday October 17.
We'll have a pre-trip meeting on Wednesday October 13 at 6pm in the Clubroom. We'll figure out food groups and cars. Especially if you are new to the club you need to come to the pre-trip meeting. If you can't come, let us know.
- water bottle (at least 2L, unless you know yourself)
- headlamp and batteries
- sun glasses and/or goggles
- pocket knife
- lighter and/or waterproof matches
- first aid kit
- Toilet Paper (natural substitutes may be available)
- insect repellent or bug net (should be not necessary by now)
- if it snowed already: maybe snowshoes
- hiking boots
- warm jacket (fleece or down)
- long underwear (top and bottom)
- toque, mitts
- weatherproof jacket
- weatherproof pants
- Lunch and snacks x2
- Breakfast x1
- Dinner x1
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- ear plugs, because somebody will snore (optional)
Cooking and Eating
- bowl, spoon
- Stove with fuel. If using white gas, for each person bring 75 mL
- hut stove if available, we have to check on fuel though
- 300mL fuel to run each lantern
- Pot and matching pot gripper
- water treatment
How tough is it
Going up to Brew Hut is really not that tough. It involves a bit of bush walking, walking through forest, passing by an alpine lake and finally arriving at the hut. Everybody should be fine!
is 13-15 people. If you are # 16, you should bring a tent
Participants, and comments if you like
You can sign up now, but please (1) don't sign up unless you are really likely to be going on the trip, not because you are "interested", or waiting for a better trip to go on. (2) If you change your mind, remove your name from the list, so you don't deprive others of a place on the trip.
Since we don't have any drivers so far, please indicate if you are willing to rent a car.
- Roland (I like Brew trips)
- Line (maybe just one day depending on how school is treating me)
- Sam Mckoy (I want to get out of the city as much as possible, this will do)
- Michael Lee (Hell Yes)
- Claire Farnoux
- Sebastian Max
- Yewon Kim
- Sarah Koch
- Bethan McKevitt
- Sida Zhou (im going~~ confirmed)
- Anna Ehret (moved here from Phelix workhike originally posted for this weekend, possibly not actually coming)
- DJ Lake (moved here from Phelix workhike originally posted for this weekend, possibly not actually coming)
- Devin Todd (moved here from Phelix workhike originally posted for this weekend, possibly not actually coming)
We most likely be taking more than 15 people, so come to the pre-trip meeting! If you have a car you have spot for sure, go ahead and sign up as driver. If we are more than 15 people you need to bring a tent.
- Joe Peace (I'd love to come but don't have a tent so I guess I can only come if I can stay in the hut...)
- Peipei Wang
- Nastassia Koenig (I'd love to come but don't have a tent so I guess I can only come if I can stay in the hut...)
- Cristina Zanotti (I'd love to come but don't have a tent so I guess I can only come if I can stay in the hut...)
- Jenna Dur (don't have a tent, just hoping there'll be space in the hut)
- Eliza Christie (i have a 2 person tent... but no car.)
- Madison Magalski
- Rebecca Fiorito
- Stephanie Mueller
- Sahriar Kabir
- Monika Hermanova (I have a three persons tent and I am willing to rent a car)
- Abdu (Have tent, and would support what "Monicka" is suggesting to rent a car).
If you have a car please sign up as driver!
Drivers: please sign up and indicate how many passengers you can take. The logging road is not too bad, but if you have a 2wd, low clearance vehicle, you should park further down the road. People with a 4wd will hopefully volunteer to ferry you and your passengers up the last bit.
Passengers: sign up in one of the cars and contact your driver to arrange place and time for pickup!!!