Archive:AST1 Dec 2009
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
It is a good idea for anyone who is interested in travelling in the back country to take an avalanche course. Avalanche course students learn about some snow science basics, terrain, route finding, snow stability testing and rescue.
Spaces are limited, and it fills up quickly, so make sure to sign up early if you want a spot. This course is a heck of a lot cheaper than than taking a course open to the public.
This years course is being done by Canada West Mountain School
The course will be exactly the same as this one
It is required that students read the material from CWMS as well as go through the online course before the classroom session.
Dates and Locations
Date: Tuesday, December 8th, 2009
Time: 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Location: Canada West Mountain School, 47 W. Broadway St., Vancouver
- December 12th @ Mt. Seymour (conditions permitting, otherwise Whistler)
- December 13th @ Whistler
All Day - arrange your own rides.
- 2 days of instruction
- 1 classroom session
- All course materials (paper handouts and books)
- Avalanche Equipment (Probe, shovel, transceiver)
- Whistler back country pass for Sunday ($40 value)
(Cost is $170 if you already have a whistler pass)
All other costs including but not limited to food, ski, snowshoe rental, travel expenses will be your own responsibility. Car pooling will be organized later.
If there isn't enough snow on Seymour Saturday will also be held on Whistler in which case you need to pay for two back country passes.
The cost is based on a course with 8 people. If less than 8 people sign up the course will get cancelled and you will get your money back.
No refunds After you have paid there is no refunds unless the course if cancelled (if you can't go, you will have to sell your spot to someone else)
Signing up here does not guarantee you a spot. YOU MUST PAY at the club room and sign up. $210 for ppl without lift tickets, $170 for those who are pass holders. Any exec can sign you up in the club room. The best times to go are gear hours or between 12pm and 1pm. Please e-mail Line when you have paid. You must be confirmed before Monday, Nov 16th so that I can give your name and contact info to Canada West and pick up your booklets etc.
Confirmed and Paid for Dec 12-13 Lesson
When you have paid add your name, cell phone and email here
- Matt Osler
- Heather Rodger
- Adrian Armstrong
- Felix Flöter
- Maria Fredriksson
- Tyler Rosmini
- Toby Hopkinson
- Brett Gallagher 604.347.3431 brettg at interchange dot ubc dot ca
- Grant Stewart
- Mark Freeman - markdouglasfreeman at yahoo dot ca
- Alexander splowinsji/Olek Splawinski - [email protected], 778 990 0021
- Andy Yeh, andy.ct.yeh at gmail.com, 604 868 6875
- Sindre S. Blakar, [email protected], 778 829 3907, come on, just a few more guys!
- Caleb Emmanual
- Scott Schaffter
- Jacob Slotsberg
The current teams are just for organizational purposes.
Interested for Dec 12-13
- Rob Clarke
See the evolving driver reimbursement guidelines.
- Mark Freeman markdouglasfreeman at yahoo dot ca
- I have room for three people in my truck leaving from a yet to be determined central location (somewhere off campus / central). I am located near Commercial Drive. Could be Broadway Station or King Edward Station.
- Sindre would love a seat if we can fill up the second batch!
- Andy Yeh andy.ct.yeh at gmail dot com
- I have room for three people in my car. I will be leaving from White Rock and dropping by Richmond to pick up Scott. Please e-mail me before putting your name on the list! After Richmond I'd like to make minimum detours to go to Mt. Seymour. Looking forward to Saturday!
- Scott Schaffter
- Brett Gallagher brettg at interchange dot ubc dot ca
- I have room for two or three more people in my truck. Already picking up one person at 4th and Trafalgar. I will be leaving from the UBC campus. Let me know if you need a ride and we can work out the timing.
- Toby Hopkinson