Archive:Beginner Kayak Trip 2007
Beginner Kayak Trip
When: April 21-22, 2007 (Sat. and Sun) (people who can't make these dates are now being encouraged to form their own trips)
Where: Indian Arm, in North Van
Meet on Saturday at 10 AM at Deep Cove Kayaks They say leave 30-45 minutes to find parking. I don't think it will be that bad. Make sure to park on the street where you won't get towed, they don't allow overnight parking in their parking lot. As always, passengers are responsible for contacting their drivers.
A cushy guided trip!
We will leave Vancouver Saturday morning, rent kayaks at the mouth of Indian Arm, and do a quick paddling tutorial for beginners. Then we will paddle to our campsite, Granite Falls, ending mid to late afternoon. There are opportunities for hiking and swimming near the campsite. The next day we will paddle back, possibly stopping to see some waterfalls.
Anyone who can arrange to rent/provide their own kayak and transport it to the put-in site is welcome to do so, as it will definitely be cheaper.
All food is vegetarian and cooked communally (2 lunches, 1 breakfast and 1 dinner). Cost will be split between the group.
Pre-Trip Meeting is on Tuesday April 3 at 7pm in the clubroom It is not mandatory to arrange rides since Deep Cove is transit-accessible, but it would be nice to arrange tents and stoves. What IS mandatory is that you pay me and let me know if you want a boat reserved at Deep Cove and if it's a single or double. I will also be accepting payments at the VOC Banquet. If you can't make either of those times, message me and we will arrange another time to meet. If you haven't paid by Friday the 6th, I will assume you're not coming.
- Warm, non-cotton clothes --LAYERS
- A waterproof jacket
- Gloves with grip
- Sleeping bag and pad
- Shoes: Neoprene booties, tevas/other waterproof sandals, or old athletic trainers, plus a dry pair to change into.
- PFD if you're not renting
- Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses
- Dish, mug, utensil
- Food to supplement communal meals, e.g. meat if you can't live without it
Please pack everything into several small bags lined with garbage bags to waterproof them, as large backpacks won't fit in the kayak. In particular, 1 small bag with layers, water, snacks, sunscreen, and anything you might need to access on the water.
2 day double kayak rental from Deep Cove Kayaks (the ones where no rack is needed): $77 per person
Making this trip an even $100. Plus gas. If everything goes right.
Single kayak plus guided food group: $135
Guide food group only: $25
I have my own food and kayak: Ok, see you there!
- PD Eva Wingren (hopefully more experience than the rest of you, need to borrow 2+ stoves, renting at Deep Cove)
- OWN Charlie
- Natasha T (white gas stove, cookware, 2p tent; can drive if needed)
- PD Bob Lai (some experience, pots but no tent or stove)
- PD Shanley Thompson (limited experience, only personal camping gear eg. sleeping bag)
- PD Mark Chui(little experience, personal camping gear, pots, if needed)will be single kayaking too, as I am an antisocial SOB
- Alix MacKay (fair amount of exp, but haven't paddled in a while, have camping gear, will be renting a single)
- PD Oker (way too little experience, 2p romance tent, will be renting @ DC)
- PD Greg Dennis (little experience, stove/pots, 2-person tent)
- PD Felix Wiedmann (some experience, have personal camping gear but no stove or tent)
- OWN Breakey (little experience, but I have the camping covered). I will take care of my own kayak and food as there seems to be enough people for Eva to take care of.
- PD Jade Yee (Have camping gear but no tent or stove, paddled in Indian Arm before and can't wait to go camping too :)
- Elsa Kamerling (...)
- PD Jowen Yeo (I once looked at a kayak..., 2p tent)
- PD Rebecca Kostamo (not much experience, own camping gear but no stove or tent)
- PD Wayroan Lin (I went on a guided trip in the gulf islands once; no stove, shoddy tent)
- PD Max Eichberger(no experience, have sleeping bag)
- OWN Mahdi
- Eva Wingren
- Shanley Thompson
- Gear and food
- Bob Lai
- Elsa Kamerling
- Open...assuming my passengers don't bring tons of gear
- Matthew Breakey
- Rebecca Kostamo
- Mahdi Eniyan
- Greg Dennis
- Guided group
This is Eva's practice guide group where she will cook for you and organize your food at cost. It is a pretty sweet deal. Max 9 people including Eva
- Make do and mend group
- Rebecca Kostamo