Difference between revisions of "Archive:Black Tusk Meadows Nov 23 2008"
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
Revision as of 21:04, 21 November 2008
Since my lovely wife Sandra will be off herding beginners at Brew, I figure it's only fair to organize my own competing ski trip just across the valley. The area around Black Tusk Meadows has excellent yo-yo ski terrain, both in the trees and in the alpine. This is an intermediate to advanced skiing trip for people with backcountry experience and avalanche training. Maximum trip size will be 12 people, splitting into 3 independent groups of 4 for skiing during the day.
If the weather is bad, we can camp at Taylor Meadows where there is a cooking shelter. If the weather is good we can camp wherever we want, probably higher up near the bottom of the ski runs below Black Tusk.
If it turns out that the snowpack is thin, or the snowline is high, the trip is still on. The meadows have smooth ground cover and are skiable with minimal snow. In this unfortunable event, it may be better to approach from the North via Cheakamus Lake, where you can drive to 1000m instead of 600m at Rubble Creek.
From a base camp at Black Tusk Meadows there are a lot of skiing options.
- Black Tusk (S, SE or NE sides)
- East Knob S side (right above camp)
- West Knob (S or W side)
- West side of West Knob (closer to Taylor meadows, but looks like an interesting area)
- Panorama Ridge (NW or NE side)
- Helm Glacier / Gentian Peak
- Empetrum Peak / Empetrum Ridge
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 22-11-2008. Please do not sign up for it.|
MAX 12 people. Please indicate if you have a vehicle, skier level and avalanche training. Tent and cooking groups will be organized on or around November 20th
- Scott Nelson (expert skier, AST2
- Sandra Nicol (vehicle, good-expert skier, AST 2) [note: Sandra queue jumps based on wife of the trip organizer priveleges]
- Krystil Koethler (extremely advanced and brilliant skier, what's an avalanche? but I'm sure I'm awesome at that too) jk jk (mediocre skier, AST2)
- Laura Morrison (no vehicle, pretty good skier, AST 1)
- Matthew Carroll (no vehicle, $CAN member, face planter extraordinaire, AST1)
- Jordan Best (Sandy's car, intermediate skier, AST1 equivalent)
- Sandy Deitlleux (vehicle, expert skier, AST2)
- David Roscoe (beater 2wd bald-tire car if needed, decent tele, no formal avi training but a few years BC experience)
- Em Beach
- Manuel Walter (No vehicle, intermediate skier, some avelanche chourses and touring experience) ???
Scott & Sandra's Car
- Matthew C (5:50)
- Krystil K (6:00)