Difference between revisions of "Archive:Longhike 2009"
(→What if I don't have a ride?)
|Line 123:||Line 123:|
Neat and Cool<br>
Neat and Cool<br>
Revision as of 16:47, 5 October 2009
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Instructional Levels
- 3 Date
- 4 Location
- 5 What to bring
- 6 Cost
- 7 Dry School (Mandatory!)
- 8 Rides
- 9 Work Hikes
- 10 External Links
Longhike is the club's popular, annual rock climbing & party extravaganza. Small groups are led by an instructor who is a fellow VOC member with climbing experience. On Saturday there is a "rock school" in Squamish and groups climb at either Murrin Park or the Little Smoke Bluffs. All ability levels are welcome and no climbing experience is necessary. An alternative hiking trip will also be planned for those who do not wish to climb, but still want to be part of this fabulous weekend. Saturday night will feature dinner at Evans lake followed by a dessert potluck and a huge party with a DJ. Sunday and/or Monday is open to climbing (and/or hiking) and there will be no formal instruction. This is the perfect time to try out your newly learned skills with people that you have met climbing or partying.
Rock I - no climbing experience, or need a refresher on basic safety and how to tie in, belay, etc
Rock II - comfortable with Rock I techniques, learn to set-up anchors
Rock III - comfortable with Rock I and Rock II techniques, learn to lead climb
Hiking - an alternative to climbing (no actual instruction provided), no hiking experience necessary
October 10th - 11th, 2009
We will be meeting on October 10th, 2009 at 9:00 am SHARP in the Smoke Bluffs parking lot. Note: It takes a good solid hour of driving from Vancouver to get here so plan accordingly.
We will then meet at Evans Lake at 5:30 (Rock I) or 6:00 pm (Rock II) for dinner. Make sure you organize your car to collect people from wherever they are since people may get split up during the day.
Climbing in Squamish (Smoke Bluffs or Murrin Park), followed by a huge climbing party and sleepover at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre. You'll be staying in cabins that fit 8-10 comfortably in bunk beds. Bring a sleeping bag, since there is no bedding or blankets. If the weather is good, there's also a lake!
What to bring
- Clothes to climb in and stay warm and dry while at the base of the crag. Make sure you bring rain gear since it might rain
- Lunch (We will not be going to Squamish for lunch; you need to have food)
- Potluck dessert
- Helmet (climbing helmets are best but a bike helmet is ok)
- Climbing harness and rock shoes at a minimum and an ATC belay device with a locking biner (bring all the climbing gear that you have especially for rock 2 and 3!). Sharing may be possible if you do not have the gear and the VOC does not have it. MEC rents out climbing shoes.
- Sleeping bag (-7C or higher).
- Thermarest or other camping mat
- Tent (There are cabins with beds and floor space, but you might sleep better in a tent.)
- Tarp (If its really going to rain this might be fun to hang out under with your group)
- Musical instruments, other fun toys to play with
Tickets will be on sale starting on Clubs days, September 23rd - 25th, 2009
- Climbing instruction, by our enthusiastic and somewhat competent Club Members.
- Gear rental (plus a refundable damage deposit). Note: We don't have enough for everybody.
- Accommodation for the night.
- Party (DJ, etc).
- All the food you can eat the night of the party and breakfast the next morning, as well as a dessert potluck!
Dry School (Mandatory!)
Date: Wednesday, October 7th, 2009
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Woodward Biomedical Library, WOOD 1
The purpose of Dry School is to:
- Sort people into rides; join up drivers and passengers.
- Sort people into instructional groups, according to your abilities, experience, and preferences.
- Make sure everybody knows what to bring.
- Answer any interesting questions.
Mandatory Instructors meeting will be at 5:30pm, 1 hour directly before dry school.
Please consult with Doris before adding your name here.
The following is information about the Driver and their occupants. Please remember to BE AT THE SMOKE BLUFF PARKING LOT BY 9:00AM and therefore NO FAFFING! Keep an eye out on this page in case spots open up or more cars present themselves!
What if I don't have a ride?
- Car: Keep an eye on the above section for availabilities. Things usually shift around a bit before the weekend.
- Bus: Greyhound leaves Saturday morning from Vancouver @ Main St. station at 8:00 am. Arrives in Squamish at 9:10 am where some really nice drivers will act as shuttles to the bluffs.
People probably taking the bus (i.e. don't have rides):
- Alexander Westbye (Leaving from UBC)
- Luke Kysow (Leaving from UBC)
- Erik Nelsson (Leaving from UBC)
- Jennifer Senez - would love a ride - leaving from vancouver.(cambie/16th)
- Joti Sara- would love a ride - leaving from vancouver.(cambie/16th)
- Anthea Song - a ride would be lovely! (Leaving from UBC)
What if I am hiking instead of climbing?
Hikers will be going to Garibaldi lake. This is 18 kms return (9 one way), but it's practically a paved path, so we can do it in running shoes,carrying mostly lunch, water, and a jacket. Because we are not stopping at Smoke Bluffs, we need our own transportation system. I have room for four passengers in my car, and hopefully there will be other hikers with a car to share (or there will be only four hikers). I will email prospective hikers Tuesday around noon to see if this works for them, so that we will know what we are doing before the meeting Wed evening.
After the hike we will join the climbers at Evans lake. We can discuss plans for Sunday. Last year we did a bigger (more people) hike on Sunday, but we might be all hiked out by then.
Want to rent gear? Or just lend a hand out of the goodness of your heart? Sign up below!
Dinner Cleanup sign up
- Jonathan Desautels
- Denis LeBlanc
- Edward Budiman
- Sarah Koch
- Miriam Bujak
- Helena Weiner
- Billy Fung
- Robert Sjödell
- Erik Nelsson
- Erica Mitchell
Morning Cleanup sign up
- Anna Sobieniak
- Alexander Westbye
- Denise Ramsden
- Luke Kysow
- Joti Sara
- Jennifer Senez
- Seolyeong Baek
- Hillary Topps
Bar Serving sign up
Note: You must be sober.
There will be shifts.
- Jackie Buck
- Cameron Bathgate
- Jennifer Yip
- Megan Miller
- Anthea Song
- Torben Christensen
- Len Goff
- Ginny Hudson