Archive:Shuksan Fisher Chimneys 2011
Revision as of 19:39, 7 July 2011 by LauraMorrison (New page: =Shuksan Fisher Chimneys= ==Organizer== Organized by: [http://www.ubc-voc.com/member/show_extended.php?target_id=2770 Laura Morrison] ==When== Start time: '''Saturday, Jul. 23rd''' ...)
Shuksan Fisher Chimneys
Organized by: Laura Morrison
Start time: Saturday, Jul. 23rd
End time: Sunday, Jul. 24th
Pre-trip meeting location: In your email inbox
- From Mount Baker ski area, 3-4 hours easy hike on a trail to Lake Anne and then to the moraines on the left side of the Lower Curtis Glacier.
- Find the right chimney. Hopefully this will be easy because there's an orange mark and I've been here before, but you never know.
- 100m vertical of 3rd class scrambling with a couple of 4th class sections that we might belay. These sections will probably be short rappels on the way down. This part is fun.
- Camp on the snow at the top of the chimney.
- Up Winnie's Slide, a short steep snow slope.
- Long traverse south across the Upper Curtis Glacier and then a steeper section called Hell's Highway.
- Swing north to the summit pyramid and climb it on snow and 3rd class rock.
- Back the way we came, packing up camp on the way.
- Remember you have to climb while carrying all your stuff.
Your clothing and camping gear (tent, stove, etc) plus:
- mountaineering boots (ideally waterproof leather, must fit your crampons)
- crampons (that fit your boots!)
- ice ax
- minimal crevasse rescue stuff (prussiks, a few locking carabiners, a sling)
- the setup you use for rappelling (I use an ATC with a short prussik)
- a leash to attach yourself to an anchor
- Head south on highway 99, following signs for USA Border.
- Cross the border.
- Take exit 255 for Sunset Dr, following signs for Mount Baker Highway.
- After the town of Glacier, you must register at the Park Service Office on the right side of the road.
- Continue to the ski hill and go up steep switchbacks to the Austin Pass/Lake Ann trailhead.