Archive:Skypilot on Canada Day
Sky Pilot is a pointy looking 2025m peak located a few kilometers behind the Chief. It's easily accessible in a day and will provide us with a fun 3rd class scramble and some fantastic views of our beautiful country. I'll bring a big Canadian flag for some saluting, singing, and epic summit shots and I think it might be fun to have some sort of fireworks...
It would be cool to celebrate the existence of other countries too...multiculturalism and all that, so if you hail from somewhere else, bring your flag too (ie: if your from Germany, bring a German flag).
We'll probably try to move fairly quick, but no one will be left behind. Beginner friendliness will be encouraged.
- Sky Pilot West Ridge (Alpine Select) - accessed by car on the Shannon Creek road until we reach a gate. Then we'll hike the road and trail to the mountain. We'll cross or avoid the Stadium Glacier and climb the ridge until it joins the South Ridge and goes to the summit.
Scrambling generally requires the use of your feet and hands to get up something. Expect scree slopes, snow, steeper, rocky bits, and a bit of exposure.
- Previous scrambling or hiking experience
- General physical fitness and endurance
This is only a day trip so no overnight gear is required, however survival gear is always good to have in case we did have to stay the night (ie: space blanket, headlamp, garbage bag, toque, etc...)
Some important stuff I'll list below
- Light hiking boots and gaiters (you may be able to do this in approach shoes if you want)
- Raingear (always assume it's going to pour)
- Food and water
- Layered hiking clothes
- Poles (an ice axe may not be a bad idea)
- A day pack to put it all in
- Geoff "O Canada!" Martin
- Gili Rosenberg
- Maya Goldstein
- Cecile Repellin (not sure I have the appropriate patriotism skills... I'll try to find a French flag though)
- Gwyn Thomas
Sign up here if you have a vehicle.