Archive:Winter Longhike 2010
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
Everything is different when you go into the backcountry in the winter; that's why there is Winter Longhike, an introductory trip for winter camping. This is usually a big trip with lots of keen people aboard who want to get out, learn some new skills, and sleep in their very own snow shelter while still managing to have fun too. It's an easy, beginner friendly trip, so if you've never even seen snow before you can still have a good time. Other fun activities that often happen at Winter Longhike are a cooking competition, sing alongs, costume competitions, and the occasional great ski run on Sunday.
Past destinations have included:
- Red Heather Meadows in Garibaldi Park
- Fat Dog Creek in Manning Park
- Falls Lake (Coquihalla)
- Mt. Seymour
January 9th - 10th, 2010
Pre-trip Meeting (Mandatory)
Date: Wednesday, January 6th, 2010
Location: WOOD 1
This is a mandatory pre-trip meeting. We will be covering some winter camping basics and arranging rides, food groups etc... If you absolutely can't make it, contact Paul
Everyone needs to bring $2 to the trip meeting for the mulled wine that will be provided at camp. If you don't bring money, I won't be able to buy wine, and everyone will be sad.
- Note: We will be trying a new system for this trip. In order to ensure drivers are fairly and appropriately reimbursed, we are asking all passengers to bring the money for their driver to the pre-trip meeting. This will avoid the need to split up costs at the end of the trip and drivers won't have to worry about driving up with an empty car if their passengers bail. Check out this page to get an idea of the costs of taking a car on a VOC trip. The exact amount to be paid will be up to the discretion of each driver. Count on something like $10-$20 per passenger to Red Heather. Your driver should be collecting to cover car expenses, plus $5 per camper/caver, which s/he will put in the Parks cash box at the parking lot.
Falls Lake off the Coquihalla
Driving Directions for Falls Lake
Everyone should plan to be on Highway 1, traveling east by 7:00 am. Follow Hwy 1 to Hope where you will continue on Hwy 5 (the Coquihalla) towards Merrit. After passing through the big snow tunnel, you will pass the exit for the Zopkios rest area, and approximately 5.5 km past the rest area you will take exit 221 Falls Lake. Parking will be on the side of the exit road. There is a tunnel going under the highway and more parking will be available on the other side. Don't leave the parking area until you have checked in with Paul so he knows you've arrived. From here there will be a trail to follow up to Falls Lake.
You should arrange to pick up your passengers and be driving east on Hwy 1 by 7:00 am. If you plan on stopping at Tim Hortons in Chilliwack (or elsewhere), adjust your departure time accordingly.
Return time on Sunday is negotiable with your driver.
In winter especially, none of your clothing should be made out of cotton. Anything synthetic is safe. Just remember, Cotton Kills.
- sleeping pad, or two, if you have them.
- sleeping bag (rated for winter, or 3 season if you sleep warm)
- garbage bags (2-3)
- warm jacket (fleece or down)
- warm pants (fleece or thick long underwear)
- long underwear
- layers (fleece or wool sweaters)
- toque, mitts (2 pairs, or a set of waterproof shells)
- goggles and avalanche beacon if skiing Sunday
- warm socks (2 pairs, wool/wool mix)
- waterproof jacket (goretex or coated nylon)
- waterproof pants (goretex or coated nylon)
- cup, bowl, spoon, knife
- good waterproof boots (wax them before the trip) or ski boots
- skis and skins if skiing, or snowshoes, or just boots if you can't get skis or snowshoes
- toothbrush etc.
- sunscreen and sunglasses (we can hope, right?)
- water bottle (1L)
- lunch, snacks, breakfast, dinner contribution (in winter you will need 2500-3500 calories per day, fat-rich stuff keeps you warm)
- gas money for your driver
- camera if you want
If you want to go skiing on Sunday before heading out to the cars, make sure to bring
- avalanche transceiver
- probe (optional but recommended)
- you don't need avalanche gear to ski down the road to the car, but you might want to do practice rescues.
3-4 people per group, organized at trip meeting along with car groups
- shovels (1-2)
- stove + fuel + lighter (you'd be surprised how often one of these stays home). If using white gas, for each person bring 150 mL.
- first aid kits (2)
- song books (4)
- snow saw
- maps, compass, etc
Remember to contact your driver to sort out pick up time, place etc.
If any drivers are going up that did not attend the pre-trip meeting, please post your carload here so that we can have a checklist of who all is coming
- Kelly (Dunbar)
- Roland Burton near UBC
- Janine Welton
- Emily Payne
- Maki Sumitani
- Sarah Stepec
- Chris Yuen (have to leave in the morning for work in Richmond at 2pm)
- Katie G
- Sarah K
- Sahriar K
- Nick C [Leaving Sun. afternoon. Pickups between Cambie&Broadway and UBC. My email is on the member's list if you want the last spot.]
- Khalil W
- Rahim K
- Ashling Smyth (Downtown)
- Brett G (UBC)
- Aaron P
- Toby H
- Sam M [Driver + 3 passengers, from Richmond ]
- Jen L
- Steve (East Van)
- Igor P
- Stan N
- Carleigh Lobban [4 passengers - Kitsilano]
IS NO LONGER TAKING PASSENGERS!
- Veenstramobile [Driver, wife, Muffin, + 2 more passengers - Dunbar]
- Ben Singleton-Polster
- Frances Sharpe
- Ryan Goldsbury [Driver + 4 passengers - Kitsilano]
- Todd Mackenzie
- Helena Weiner
- Mie Winstrup
- Sara Parke
- Ryan Gustafson [Driver + 3 passengers - Main and 23rd, planning to snowboard sunday]
- Toby S.
- Open Seat - call me at 6043139722 if you still need a spot
- Evan M [Driver, Greta and 3 passengers; Kits/Pt. Grey area; Preference for skiers because want to ski Sunday]
- Bob L
- Ryan M [Driver, 4 passengers; 16th and Arbutus; probably skiing]
- Len Goff
- Gwyn Thomas
- Martin Kusak
- Jitka Hyrsovska
- Ali Nezampour (last minute note: I have two seats available if anyone still wants a ride. Give me a call at 778-316-4948 until midnight)
- Ron Maharik
- Vivian Li
- Rick Havlak VGH area but have to go to kits anyway
- Phil Provencher
- Diana Dragomir (Kits)
- Anna Szeitz
- Paul L (UBC)
- Alex W
- Jacob S
- Megan T
- Stephanie Schmitt (UBC/Pt. Grey)
- Jennie Thunman
- Nick M
- Andrew McGechaen (UBC, snowshoeing)
- Bruno Godin (14th and Québec)
- Alexander Westbye (UBC)
- Angela P.
- Anna Sobieniak (Kits)
- Matt Hansell (UBC)
- Luke Kysow (UBC)
- Toby Sirzyk (Ritzumeikan, UBC)
- Rahim Kaba ( Place Vanier UBC)
- Kai Milliken (Place Vanier UBC)
- Araya Ngeash (Place Vanier UBC)