Difference between revisions of "Archive:Winter Longhike 2011"
|Line 112:||Line 112:|
# Shuvi (shuval haramati)
# Shuvi (shuval haramati)
Revision as of 12:33, 12 November 2010
Everything is different when you go into the backcountry in the winter; that's why there is Winter Longhike, an introductory trip for winter camping. This is usually a big trip with lots of keen people aboard who want to get out, learn some new skills, and sleep in their very own snow shelter while still managing to have fun too. It's an easy, beginner friendly trip, so if you've never even seen snow before you can still have a good time. Other fun activities that often happen at Winter Longhike are a cooking competition, sing alongs, costume competitions, and the occasional great ski run on Sunday.
Past destinations have included:
- Red Heather Meadows in Garibaldi Park
- Fat Dog Creek in Manning Park
- Falls Lake (Coquihalla)
- Mt. Seymour
January 8th - 9th, 2011
Pre-trip Meeting (Mandatory)
Date: Wednesday, January 5th, 2011
You are kidding yourself if you think Veestra has time to arrange personal details for you - there will likely be 100 people on this trip! We will be covering some winter camping basics and arranging rides, food groups, snowcave groups at the pre-trip... If you absolutely can't make it, find somebody to represent you and make sure they have enough information to do so!
- Note: This is all basically up to your driver, but we will be encouraging the pre-pay system for this trip. In order to ensure drivers are fairly and appropriately reimbursed, we are asking all passengers to bring the money for their driver to the pre-trip meeting. This will avoid the need to split up costs at the end of the trip and drivers won't have to worry about driving up with an empty car if their passengers bail. Check out this page to get an idea of the costs of taking a car on a VOC trip. The exact amount to be paid will be up to the discretion of each driver. Count on something like $5-$20 per passenger, depending where we go.
Falls Lake off the Coquihalla, or Mt. Seymour depending on conditions.
In winter especially, none of your clothing should be made out of cotton. Anything synthetic is safe. Just remember, Cotton Kills.
- sleeping pad, or two, if you have them.
- sleeping bag (rated for winter, or 3 season if you sleep warm)
- garbage bags (2-3)
- warm jacket (fleece or down)
- warm pants (fleece or thick long underwear)
- long underwear
- layers (fleece or wool sweaters)
- toque, mitts (2 pairs, or a set of waterproof shells)
- goggles and avalanche beacon if skiing Sunday
- warm socks (2 pairs, wool/wool mix)
- waterproof jacket (goretex or coated nylon)
- waterproof pants (goretex or coated nylon)
- cup, bowl, spoon, knife
- good waterproof boots (wax them before the trip) or ski boots
- skis and skins if skiing, or snowshoes, or just boots if you can't get skis or snowshoes
- toothbrush etc.
- sunscreen and sunglasses (we can hope, right?)
- water bottle (1L)
- lunch, snacks, breakfast, dinner contribution (in winter you will need 2500-3500 calories per day, fat-rich stuff keeps you warm)
- gas money for your driver
- camera if you want
If you want to go skiing on Sunday before heading out to the cars, make sure to bring
- avalanche transceiver
- probe (optional but recommended)
- you don't need avalanche gear to ski down the road to the car, but you might want to do practice rescues.
3-4 people per group, organized at trip meeting along with car groups
- shovels (1-2)
- stove + fuel + lighter (you'd be surprised how often one of these stays home). If using white gas, for each person bring 150 mL.
- first aid kits (2)
- song books (4)
- snow saw
- maps, compass, etc
Remember that writing your name here does not ensure you get on the trip. Come to the pre-trip meeting. There is no limit on the numbers for this trip.
- Stephanie Grothe
- Clemens Adolphs
- Gwyn Thomas
- Marcin Mirski
- Derry Lappin
- Phil Tomlinson
- Vicky Alfred
- Conrad Koziol
- Mariya Skvortsova
- Caitlin Schneider
- Michael Duncan
- Riley Patterson
- Julia Macdonald
- Andrew Primavera
- Sam Mckoy
- Christopher Yearwood
- Matt Parisien
- Laura Morrison
- Katherine Valentine
- Shuvi (shuval haramati)