Burns and turns 2017
-> to edit this, sign in first
35 people is too many to travel all together so we have broken into groups of 5-6 listed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FExTwrvmF4aCNDQsV85Nj8ejjQeF6Xjh5srYiIGeEas/edit?usp=sharing
Find each others email / phone numbers using the VOC members list
- Groups will make the journey (ski and drive) independently. Aim to leave Vancouver 6.00-7.30amish to get skiing 8-9.30ish.
- Drivers will be the leader of their car group.
- Each group will have a liaison who will text Arran when they leave - Vancouver, the carpark, red heather, arrive at camp, and the same on return.
- Groups will stick together like their lives depend on it, and will help each other from the carpark to the campsite and back.
- If you are found far from your group at any point of the journey, you will be made into haggis and eaten. If you're fast, wait for your group, help them go faster. If you're slow, tell the others to wait, get them to help you.
Before the weekend
- Groups will organise when and where they will meet to leave Vancouver. (Between 6-8am)
- Leaders will check everyone has the appropriate gear, has a tent spot.
- Leaders will check their group has group safety gear, and get an emergency contact sorted.
- Everyone will check out the weather and avalanche forecasts, print out a map and look at the route (map is below).
- Leaders confirm with Arran their group has all this, is good to go and is as happy as larry.
Group safety gear
For safety on the ski up each group must have:
- Navigation equipment - Compass, Map of the area, GPS
This way if something goes wrong, (like a bald eagle drops a really heavy salmon that knocks someone out) the group will be prepared to camp out.
Inevitably someone will probably need to swap groups.
- If this happens, tell everyone involved.
- Make sure all your old group knows you will be shifting, and all your new group knows youre now in their group.
- Make sure there is a decent amount of experience in each new group
GROUPS WILL STICK TOGETHER LIKE REALLY REALLY STICKY GLUE
Food and drink
- We'll have a big ole potluck feast, bring food that's easy to cook and everyone can pass round and munch on.
- Bring some grog. Whisky is lightweight and Scottish.
- bring avalanche rescue gear
- instead of a 4 season sleeping pad, two foam mattresses or a foamy + a thermarest is fine.
- $10 for modo rental cars. Don't bring this if you are coming in your own car.
- Gas money, should be $5-10 ask your driver.
Can be a tartan skirt or tartan blanket or something
Sign up for stuff
What food you will bring, find a tent buddy.
Burns night addresses, spare kilts
Here's a map to print off
- Elfin lakes shelter - do not go here.
- Elfin lakes campsite day shelter - our party is here !
book your campsite now
book here Choose
- Backcountry Garabaldi
- 28 Jan
on the list or map click elfin lakes campsite
Use these settings.