The Clubroom is our room inside the SUB (Student Union Building, Map of SUB with Clubroom]). It serves as a office, meetup space (e.g. for pre-trip meetings), library and storage of our gear. The clubroom is generally open during Gear Hours. It might also be open at other times, though it is not guaranteed that services like membership and gear rental are available at these times.
Gear Rental Hours (when the Clubroom will be open)
Hours are subject to change at short notice... Please check the website immediately before you come. http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Gear_Hours
There are no gear hours on public holidays.
ATTENTION: People trying out skis + boots for the first time: give yourself 30 minutes. Please do not show up at the end of gear hours!
- Monday: Diego Adleson 14:45-15:45
- Tuesday: Erica Haugland 13:00-14:00
- Wednesday: Mia Fajeau 12:30 - 13:30
- Thursday: Vanny P 11:30-12:30 (11-12 Nov 15 only), Jessica Brown 12:30 - 13:30
- Friday: Hannah Bates 12:15 - 13:15
Last updated Oct. 22, 2018
At other times the Clubroom may be open. However, gear rental and return is only possible during the gear hours posted above.
Please arrive with enough time to pick out the gear before gear hours end. Bring cash for refundable gear deposit
If you absolutely cannot make it to any of the posted hours and need to meet the Quartermasters outside of gears hours due to scheduling conflicts, ask nicely and respect their time. Your best bet is to email the quartermasters and be prepared to bring some small bribe (food or drink generally works well). Please remember that all the quartermasters are students volunteering their time, and like most students they are often very busy and cannot always accommodate requests to meet outside of gear hours.
Note that it is not appropriate to leave gear outside or inside the Clubroom when the gear room is locked.
The elected Club Executive meets once a week to discuss upcoming events and generally make the Club run as smoothly as possible. Sometimes this involves mostly putting out fires, and sometimes it involves far-ranging philosophical discussion. If you would like to attend an Exec meeting you can do so, but please realize that these people are pretty busy, so don't interrupt. If you have something to present, talk to the president before the meeting so it can be scheduled. If you just want to renew your membership, probably this can be done without interrupting the meeting and you should do it after in most cases. If you want to take out gear, this is not the time to do it.
Each year we discuss when to hold Exec meetings, to maximize the number of Exec who can be there. Everyone is welcome to come though.
- 2018 January - February: Weekly Thursdays 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- 2018 March - April: Weekly Mondays 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- 2018 April - August: Bi-Weekly Thursdays 7:00pm - 8:00p (April 19, May 3, May 17, etc)
- 2018 September - December: Weekly Wednesdays 6:00pm - 7:00pm
The minutes from past exec meetings are available for members to read.
If you're interested in what the exec did the previous years, you could check out the exec reports.
Open Clubroom Hours
Open Clubroom Hours are times when the clubroom is open for members to come hang out. There are NO gear hours during this time.
During the open clubroom hours you can:
- take out or read a book from our Library
- activate your VOC membership, buy swag or pay for other things you might need to pay for
- get advice for how to do things, like organizing a trip, how to pack better, how to reduce faff, etc.
- wax/sharpen your skis (bring $5 to cover the cost of wax/base cleaner/ptex you use)
- cut rope using our hot knife rope cutter
- do other gear maintenance stuff with the equipment we have
- just hang out with other VOCers!
Often exec will be working on a variety of tasks during the Open Clubroom Hours and if you are interested in sitting on/helping out you are welcome to (it also counts as a workhike!). Below is a list of some of the things we might be working on:
- Maintain the club gear, such as ski tuning, fixing bindings, inspecting equipment, etc.
- Doing research through the archives, reading old journal articles, organizing and documenting what we have.
- Planning big trips such as Rock Party, Glacier School, Longhike, the Winter Formal and the AGM.
- Working on expanding the information and content structure of the VOC Wiki
- Project work for Huts & Trails, such as design work, project briefs, grant writing, construction scheduling, and budgeting.
- Developer tasks, such as upgrading the VOC Main Website, the Hut Registration system or the VOC Wiki.
- Edit trips reports for the next VOCJ
The Journal and Special Project Committees sometimes meet during the open clubroom times and you are welcome to join in and help them out, or even better, join the committee!
For more information contact George Hill Last updated May 13, 2018