In the basement of the AMS Nest, next to the Grand Noodle Emporium, just around the corner from The Pit. The room number is LL201. This map will guide you.
The clubroom is "open" for a variety of reasons. These include specific gear hours, executive meetings, clubroom workhikes, and general hours.
- For gear hours, see Gear Rental
- Executive meetings, see Executive Meetings
- For Clubroom workhikes, see our trip agenda
- For General hours: VOC exec members often hang out in the clubroom during lunchtime. Come on in and say hi. Feel free to knock if the door is closed - its just because its loud outside.
You can activate your membership (by paying your cash fee) to any of the open hours, but ideally not during executive meetings as we have lots of things to discuss - coming before or after is ok, though!
The elected Club Executive meets once a week to discuss upcoming events and generally make the Club run as smoothly as possible. Any VOC member is welcome to come to our meetings. If you have something to present, talk to the president or secretary before the meeting so it can be scheduled (email [email protected] or contact directly through our internal member list).
Executive meetings for Term 2 2021 school year are Tuesdays 7:00-8:00 pm.
If you want to activate or renew your membership, please come before or after our executive meetings as to not interrupt. Executive meetings are not the time to take out gear - please see Gear Rental.
The minutes from past exec meetings are available for members to read. They are found on the VOC's internal message board.
If you're interested in what the exec did the previous years, you could check out the exec reports.
Often exec will be working on a variety of tasks during open clubroom hours. If you are interested in sitting on/helping out you are welcome to (it also counts as a workhike!). Below is a list of some of the things we might be working on:
- Maintain the club gear, such as ski tuning, fixing bindings, inspecting equipment, etc.
- Doing research through the archives, reading old journal articles, organizing and documenting what we have.
- Planning big trips such as Rock Party, Glacier School, Longhike, the Winter Formal and the AGM.
- Working on expanding the information and content structure of the VOC Wiki
- Project work for Huts & Trails, such as design work, project briefs, grant writing, construction scheduling, and budgeting.
- Developer tasks, such as upgrading the VOC Main Website, the Hut Registration system or the VOC Wiki.
- Edit trips reports for the next VOCJ
- Committees sometimes meet during the open clubroom times and you are welcome to join in and help them out, or even better, join the committee! Email [email protected] to learn more about our committees.
If there is someone in the clubroom, it is appropriate to ask whether you may:
- read a book from our Library
- activate your VOC membership
- buy swag or pay for other things you might need to pay for
- get advice for how to do things, like organizing a trip, how to pack better, how to reduce faff, etc.
- wax/sharpen your skis (bring $5 to cover the cost of wax/base cleaner/ptex you use)
- do other gear maintenance stuff with the equipment we have
- just hang out with other VOCers!
A good chance to stop by is around lunchtime during the week.
NOTE: It is at the discretion of the exec member in the clubroom whether these things are possible. Execs try to be accommodating but we also have things to do. It is generally NOT appropriate to ask to borrow or return gear. Please email the quartermasters if you cannot make any gear hours ([email protected]).