The VOC Clubroom and its resources are available to Club Leaders for use anytime The Nest is open. Please simply observe the Clubroom Rules. To find the current door code, refer to the Clubroom Access page under Members' Section tab of the VOC website. If the page isn't available then you might not be a Club Leader yet.
We're going to try this for a pilot period of Spring 2016 and if we as a membership can maintain the clubroom in good standing it will be a nice perk.
Club Leader designation is appointed by the President for an outstanding contribution the club. It's the members who give back to our community and make the club what it is.
Becoming a Club Leader
If you fit the profile and think you're a Club Leader, email the Exec with a quick paragraph outlining what you've done and they'll review it.
If you're unsure if you've 'given back to the club,' ask an Exec and they will point you in the right direction. Mainly things they look for are;
- Organizing and leading VOC trips, especially Beginner Friendly Trips.
- Volunteering for and organizing workhikes and improving the club.
- Having a 'cool idea' to benefit the club and following through on it (or recruiting others).
- Running 'Dry Schools' or other info sessions teaching others some of the skills you may have.
- Volunteering with the VOC Executive.
- Demonstrating good judgment.
Treat our clubroom with the same respect you would treat the outdoors and follow the Leave No Trace Principles.
- Plan Ahead
- Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use. Club activities have priority.
- Visit in small (VOC) groups.
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Good campsites are found, not made. Altering the clubroom is not necessary.
- Mind for the clubroom, it belongs to all of us.
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Pack it in, pack it out. Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods.
- Pack out all trash, leftover food, and litter. (Even if it's not yours)
- Leave What You Find
- Preserve the past: examine, but do not remove, cultural or historic structures, artifacts or library books.
- Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them.
- Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches.
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- No campfires are permitted in the clubroom.
- Don't share the clubroom code. (Because it doesn't fit elsewhere)
- Respect Wildlife
- Protect wildlife and your food by not storing rations in the clubroom.
- Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, exam season or winter.
- Be Considerate of Others
- Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience.
- Be courteous. Yield to other users of the clubroom.
- Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.
Use of the clubroom is ultimately a privilege and can be revoked.