Elfin Lakes Intro Hut Touring
This trip is an overnight backcountry ski/snowboarding trip held at the Elfin Lakes hut during winter. Participants are expected to have some experience skiing, though are not required to have experience in backcountry travel. Skills that are an asset but not required include: -avalanche companion rescue experience, -overnight camping, -winter camping, -terrain assessment, -first aid skills, etc. Each trip consists of no more than a 6:1 leader:participant ratio, and hence a plethora of guidance and instruction is provided. **Note**: While our leaders will be providing guidance and some instruction, none of our leaders are certified instructors or ski guides. Please follow their guidance under your own discretion.
- 6:00am: Depart Vancouver (this means be traveling over the Lion's Gate Bridge no later than 6:00am).
- Approx. 7:00am: Arrive in Squamish/regroup at the first Tim Horton's (the Wendy's/Timmy's combo)
- 7:30am: Arrive at trailhead.
- 8:00am: Depart trailhead via Elfin Lakes trail.
- 11:00am: Arrive at Red Heather Warming Hut. Have lunch/snacks/greet other backcountry adventurers!
- 11:30am: Depart Red Heather Hut.
- 3:00pm: Arrive at Elfin Lakes Hut.
- 3:00pm-6:00pm: Settle in; work through companion rescue exercises, enjoy being at hut, ski, etc.
- 6:00pm: Dinner at hut.
- 7:00pm-onwards: Hut shenanigans/night skiing, etc.
- 8:00am: Wake/breakfast.
- 9:00am: Get ready to go skiing!
- 9:00am-2:00pm: Ski around Paul Ridge, Gargoyles, etc based on experience level and snow conditions.
- 2:00pm: Depart hut for parking lot.
- 4:30pm: Arrive at parking lot.
- 5:00pm: Regroup. Debrief/goodbyes/choose a meetup location for dinner.
- 5:30pm: Dinner in Squamish/depart with car group.