VOC members can "rent" out gear from the Clubroom. Rental is free but a large cash-only deposit is required, which is returned when you bring back the gear. This page lists the gear hours and policies regarding equipment rental, as well as what gear is available.
How to rent gear (or pay for membership)
If you wish to rent gear or pay for membership, please stop by during our gear hours listed below. If you are not able to make it during these times, you can email [email protected] dot com to arrange another time to come in, but there is no guarantee that a gear person will be able to rent gear to you outside of the hours listed below. Keep in mind that it takes time to take out gear, fit the right size of boot, etc, and the gear persons may have to leave on time to go to class. Don't tell us, five minutes before we have to leave, that you have to go and find a bank to get your deposit money.
Check the gear hours before you come in. They change frequently.
- Monday: Geena 12-1 ([email protected])
- Tuesday: Alia 11-12 ([email protected]) *NEWLY UPDATED, also Roland 12:30--13:30
- Wednesday: Addie 4:30-5:30 ([email protected], CANCELLED
- Sept 15th) Jacob 12:00-13:00 ([email protected])
- Thursday: Sophia 5:15-6:15 ([email protected]) Jacob 12:00-13:00 ([email protected])
- Friday: Roland 12:30 - 13:30 ([email protected])
If you would like to contact the quartermasters, you can email: [email protected] dot com .
Gear List (and deposits)
Climbing/ Mountaineering Gear
|Rope||$100||top rope only, not suitable for leader falls|
|Climbing shoes||$40||should fit tightly, but not utterly destroy your feet|
|Starter Trad Rack||$200||0.3-3 Camalots, Double set of GW nuts. For Rock-4 instructors/students|
|#4/#5/#6 C4 Cams||$200||Includes the set of 3. See: Squamish Offwidth|
|"Climbing package"||$100||Harness, shoes, helmet (Note: not for use in the Aviary)|
|Ice tools||$200||Quarks, Cassins, Vipers (*One set only for dry tooling)|
|Mountaineering boots||$40||stiff boots suitable for crampons|
|Crampons||$40||bring your boots for fitting|
|Hiking boots||$40||not suitable for crampons|
|Snow Picket||$20||Various lengths|
|Backpacks||$40||20L - 80L|
|Sleeping mats||$20||Mostly Z-Lite mats|
Snow Sports Gear
- Make sure your skis, boots, poles, feet, skins, all fit together properly before leaving the Clubroom!!
|Telemark skis + skins||$120|
|AT skis + skins||$120||We only have a few|
|Splitboard + skins||$200||We only have three, you need your own snowboard boots and telescope poles.|
|Plastic tele boots||$80|
|"Ski Package"||$200||Skis + skins, boots, poles|
|Avalanche transceiver or beacon||$200||batteries are not included!|
|"Avalanche package"||$280||beacon, shovel, probe|
|Whitewater Kayaks||$200||Includes skirt, paddle, and helmet. You will need to discuss your intentions with us before renting. Rented at Alastair's discretion.|
|Folding ORU Double Kayak||$200||Includes paddle. Rented at our discretion.|
|GPS (Etrex 30)||$40||Comes loaded with some maps|
|Two-way radios||$60||Per pair|
|Canoe||$200||Includes life vests and paddles. Rented at quatermaster's discretion.|
|SPOT locator||$100||currently non operational, batteries not included. (Free for trip leader).|
|inreach||$100||We have two.|
|Crash Pad||$80||One week rental.|
|Bike Pannier||$60/ea||We have two.|
|Double Portaledge||$500||Metolius Double Bomber portaledge and rainfly. You will need to discuss your intentions with us via email before renting. Rented at our discretion.|
|Haul bag 125L||$100||Metolius Half Dome 125L haul bag.|
Canoe Rental Calendar
This calendar is used exclusively for Canoe rentals/reservations. We make an exception to our 'no reservations' rule since canoe rental involves coordinating a car.
If you are picking up the canoe, you need to bring a friend to help you, as the QMs cannot leave the clubroom during gear hours.
- DEMO: DD/MM/YY to DD/MM/YY; First Name Last Name
- REAL: 02/08/21 to 06/08/21: Linda Kiritchkov
- REAL: 30/07/21 to 06/08/21; John Wragg (green canoe)
- REAL: 07/08/21 to 08/08/21; Alastair White
- REAL: 25/08/21 to 29/08/21; Hana Brath
- REAL: 02/09/21 to 08/09/21; Adam Rodrigues
- REAL: 10/09/21 to 13/09/21; Birgit Rogalla
Last updated: 18 August 2021
- Objectives: to make gear available to all members, to not lose gear, to keep gear in good condition, to maintain a gear plan, to find good deals on gear.
- Club gear is managed by the Quartermasters, who are elected members of the VOC Exec. We appreciate getting help with gear; if you would like to help out, please volunteer to be a Helper. Quartermasters and Helpers follow gear policy
- As Club gear is maintained by the quartermasters and club members, it is subject to the time constraints of busy students. This means the gear you receive may not be in the best condition. You must examine and/or test borrowed gear before you take it on a trip. Report damage to the quartermasters. Usually you can earn a workhike by maintaining or repairing the club gear you borrow.
- Club members (Student Members and Associate Members, but not Honorary Members) can borrow gear for free if they leave a deposit. In addition, after a 3 rental grace period everyone is supposed to do a workhike before borrowing club gear.
Gear Rental Rules
- Using Club gear is one of the privileges of being a fee-paying (Student or Associate) Member. Honorary Members don't pay fees and are not entitled to use Club Gear; presumably by the time you get to be an Honorary Member, you have bought your own gear.
- Members are entitled to use one set of gear at a time, not gear for yourself and your friends (unless they are Members). If your friend needs a beacon and you need a beacon, your friend should join the Club.
- After a 3 rental grace period you are supposed to have completed a workhike. See Workhikes. If you haven’t done yours yet, discuss this with the Gear Person. Usually you can earn a workhike by maintaining or repairing the club gear you borrow.
- Rental is free, but a large cash deposit is required to take out Club Gear. The cash is returned to you when you bring back the gear.
- Gear rental period is for a week. Please bring it back during the week following the week you took it out. Bring it back as soon as you can, as others may be waiting to use it. There may be penalties for bringing gear back late.
- If you need to take out gear for longer than a weekend, discuss this with the Gear Person, who may let you take it out for longer, especially over the Winter Holiday, or Reading Break.
- If you need gear for two consecutive weekends, you may be able to renew your rental for the next weekend, if demand for the gear is not high at the moment.
- Don't try to reserve gear. If you need something, take it before somebody else gets it.
- Look over your gear carefully to ensure it is all there and it will work for you. Check for loose screws in the bindings. Make sure your boots both fit your feet and the skis, and that your skins fit. Check both halves of the pair. People have managed to borrow two left boots, or two boots of different size.
- Return gear in good condition. Boots should be dry. If something broke, tell us about it. If you lost something, be prepared to replace it.
- Don't hog the gear. If you find you are having trouble with returning Club gear, or it has been sitting in your closet for a while, this is an indication that you are using the Club gear without respect for the needs of the other Members. Maybe it's time to get your own gear.
- It is not appropriate to leave gear outside of the clubroom when there are no gear hours.
We Don't Have Tents, Sleeping Bags or Clothing
As of July 2021, MEC no longer rents sleeping bags or tents. Try Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist to find cheap gear or the VOC's Facebook page to ask to borrow gear.
We don't supply outdoors clothing, but sometimes stuff gets abandoned in the Clubroom, so it is worth while to check out the "free bin" from time to time.
Other Gear Rental Locations
Mountain Equipment Company is probably the best source of rental equipment.
Another place you might go to rent or buy gear is Sports Junkies. They have winter clothing, tents, other camping gear, plus we get 10% off. Or you could try Valhalla Pure Outfitters.