VOC members can "rent" out gear from the Clubroom. Rental is free but a large cash-only deposit is required, which is returned when you bring back the gear. This page lists the gear hours and policies regarding equipment rental, as well as what gear is available.
- 1 Clubroom Location
- 2 Gear Hours or Pay for Membership
- 3 Club Gear
- 4 Gear Rental Rules
- 5 Contact
- 6 Gear List (and deposits)
- 7 Canoe and ORU Rental Calendar
- 8 We Don't Have Sleeping Bags or Clothing
- 9 Other Gear Rental Locations
In the basement of the AMS Nest, next to the Grand Noodle Emporium, just around the corner from The Pit. The room number is LL201. This map will guide you.
Gear Hours or Pay for Membership
If you wish to rent gear or pay for membership, please stop by during our gear hours listed below. If you are not able to make it during these times, you can email gear@ubc-voc dot com to arrange another time to come in, but there is no guarantee that a gear person will be able to be there outside of the hours listed below. Keep in mind that it takes time to take out gear, fit the right size of boot, etc, and the gear persons likely have to leave on time to go to class. Try to find out what total deposit money you'll need in advance and bring it with you, to avoid keeping the gear person past their scheduled time :)
If you need to message someone please make it one of the quartermasters below, NOT the club Instagram! We will be able to get back to you more readily.
- Monday (Returns only): AJ 4-5 pm
- Tuesday (Returns only): Ethan 1-2pm, Maiya 3-4pm (cancelled 10/31)
- Wednesday: Alex 9am-9:50am (cancelled 11/15), James 2-3pm
- Thursday: Adam 9:50-10:50 am (cancelled 11/16), Mel 4-5pm (not 10/26)
- Friday: Elaine 11:30am-12:30pm
Mondays and Tuesdays are for gear returns only. Wednesdays through Fridays are intended for taking gear out. As such please make sure when renting gear that you have a plan to get the gear back on Monday or Tuesday or tell the QM why you cannot and what day you will be able to bring it back on. This is intended to ensure gear is available in the clubroom when people looking to rent come in, and provide us with time to make any necessary repairs to gear before it heads back out. Thank you for your cooperation.
***Splitboard rentals are currently on hold due to their poor condition (they're held together with bailing wire and good vibes) .
- Objectives: to make gear available to all members, to not lose gear, to keep gear in good condition, to maintain a gear plan, to find good deals on gear.
- Club gear is managed by the Quartermasters, who are elected members of the VOC Exec. We appreciate getting help with gear; if you would like to help out, please volunteer to be a Helper. Quartermasters and Helpers follow gear policy
- As Club gear is maintained by the quartermasters and club members, it is subject to the time constraints of busy students. This means the gear you receive may not be in the best condition. You must examine and/or test borrowed gear before you take it on a trip. Report damage to the quartermasters. Usually you can earn a workhike by maintaining or repairing the club gear you borrow.
- Club members (Student Members and Associate Members, but not Honorary Members) can borrow gear for free if they leave a cash deposit. In addition, after a 3 rental grace period everyone is supposed to do a workhike before borrowing club gear.
Gear Rental Rules
- Using Club gear is one of the privileges of being a fee-paying (Student or Associate) Member. Honorary Members don't pay fees and are not entitled to use Club Gear; presumably by the time you get to be an Honorary Member, you have bought your own gear.
- Members are entitled to use one set of gear at a time, not gear for yourself and your friends (unless they are Members). If your friend needs a beacon and you need a beacon, your friend should join the Club.
- After a 3 rental grace period you are supposed to have completed a workhike. See Workhikes. If you haven’t done yours yet, discuss this with the Gear Person. Usually you can earn a workhike by maintaining or repairing the club gear you borrow. Working on one of our huts, trails, or carrying firewood is another popular workhike option.
- Rental is free, but a large cash deposit is required to take out Club Gear. The cash is returned to you when you bring back the gear.
- Gear rental period is for a week. Please bring it back during the week following the week you took it out. Bring it back as soon as you can, as others may be waiting to use it.
- There are late fees of $5/week for snowshoes, avalanche beacons, AT skis, and ice tools, up to 50% of the deposit. Fees are charged after a one-week grace period.
- If you need to take out gear for longer than a weekend, discuss this with the Gear Person, who may let you take it out for longer, especially over the Winter Holiday, or Reading Break.
- If you need gear for two consecutive weekends, you may be able to renew your rental for the next weekend, if demand for the gear is not high at the moment.
- Don't try to reserve gear. If you need something, take it before somebody else gets it.
- Look over your gear carefully to ensure it is all there and it will work for you. Check for loose screws in the bindings. Make sure your boots both fit your feet and the skis, and that your skins fit. Check both halves of the pair. People have managed to borrow two left boots, or two boots of different size.
- Return gear in good condition. Boots should be dry. If something broke, tell us about it. If you lost something, be prepared to replace it.
- Don't hog the gear. If you find you are having trouble with returning Club gear, or it has been sitting in your closet for a while, this is an indication that you are using the Club gear without respect for the needs of the other Members. Maybe it's time to get your own gear.
- It is not appropriate to leave gear outside of the clubroom when there are no gear hours.
- Ski rental use is limited to backcountry use and using VOC ski gear in the resort is not appropriate.
- The single exception to this is for Tele school attendees who are learning to ski on Tele skis. This exception applies for the duration of the season following tele school.
If you would like to contact the quartermasters, you can email: gear@ubc-voc dot com .
Gear List (and deposits)
Climbing/ Mountaineering Gear
|Rope||$100||top rope only, not suitable for leader falls|
|Climbing shoes||$40||should fit tightly, but not utterly destroy your feet. Please respect that climbing shoes are for outdoor use only.|
|Starter Trad Rack||$200||0.3-3 Camalots, Double set of GW nuts. Late fees apply|
|#4/#5/#6 C4 Cams||$200||Includes the set of 3. See: Squamish Offwidth|
|"Climbing package"||$100||Harness, shoes, helmet (Note: not for use in the Aviary)|
|Ice tools||$200||Quarks, Cassins, Vipers (*One set only for dry tooling). Late fees apply.|
|Mountaineering boots||$40||stiff boots suitable for crampons|
|Crampons||$40||bring your boots for fitting. Not suitable for hiking, instead consider purchasing microspikes ($15 from the swag cabinet).|
|Hiking boots||$40||not suitable for crampons|
|Snow Picket||$20||Various lengths|
|Backpacks||$40||20L - 80L|
|Foam sleeping mats||$20|
|Inflatable sleeping mats||$30||Mostly very large mats, some backpacking ones|
Snow Sports Gear
- Make sure your skis, boots, poles, feet, skins, all fit together properly before leaving the Clubroom!!
|Snowshoes||$40||Late fees apply.|
|Telemark skis + skins||$120|
|AT skis + skins||$120||For use in the backcountry only. If caught using in the resort, we will suspend gear rental priveleges Fees: Core shot: $30. Late Fees apply.|
|Plastic tele boots||$80|
|"Ski Package"||$200||Skis + skins, boots, poles. Late fees apply to AT Packages|
|Avalanche transceiver or beacon||$200||batteries are not included! Late fees apply.|
|"Avalanche package"||$280||beacon, shovel, probe. Late fees apply|
|Whitewater Kayaks||$200||For whitewater use only. Includes skirt, paddle, and helmet. You will need to discuss your intentions with us before renting. Rented at Head QM discretion.|
|Folding ORU Double Kayak||$200||Includes paddle. Rented at our discretion. Will be located in the clubroom as of July 22nd, Please see rental calendar below.|
|GPS (Etrex 30)||$40||Comes loaded with some maps|
|Canoe||$200||Includes paddles. Also includes optional portage cart, but you have to bring your own straps. Rented at quatermaster's discretion.|
|Crash Pad||$80||One week rental.|
|Bike Pannier||$60/ea||We have two.|
|Double Portaledge||$500||Metolius Double Bomber portaledge and rainfly. You will need to discuss your intentions with us via email before renting. Rented at our discretion.|
|Ascent plates||$100||We have 1 pair|
Trip Leader Gear
This gear is available to check out for use only on trips publicly posted to the trips page, and is to be checked out by trip leaders
|SPOT locator||$100||Batteries not included.|
|inreach||$100||We have two. Emergency personal locator beacon (plb) with two way text communication as well.|
|Two-way radios||$60||Per pair|
|Whisperlite Stove||$50||Comes with fuel bottle. No fuel included.|
|Tents||$150||Please try to keep these non-broken and in good shape. Fees: Returned wet: $30, Broken pole $40|
|Sled||$20||For use pulling gear in snow, not for sledding :(|
|Steripens||$30||No batteries included|
|Hanging water filter||$70|
Canoe and ORU Rental Calendar
This calendar is used exclusively for Canoe and ORU rentals/reservations. We make an exception to our 'no reservations' rule since canoe rental involves coordinating a car.
If you are picking up the canoe, you need to bring a friend to help you, as the QMs cannot leave the clubroom during gear hours.
- DEMO: DD/MM/YY to DD/MM/YY; First Name Last Name (Canoe/Oru)
- Example: 07/02/23 to 07/02/23; Jacob Grossbard (Oru)
- 11-12/02/2023; Jade Quinn-McDonald (canoe)
01/06/23 to 05/06/23; David Brooks (Canoe)Cancelled - Couldn't make any gear hours
- 26/07/2023 Allen (oru)
02/08/2023 - 09/08/2023 Calista (ORU)cancelled - last minute trip changes
- 02/08/2023 - 07/08/2023 Sumit Meghlani (canoe)
19/08/2023 - 20/08/2023 Filippo Stocco (ORU)- Couldn't make any gear hours
- 02/09/2023 - 03/09/2023 Filippo Stocco (ORU)
Last updated: 07 February 2023
We Don't Have Sleeping Bags or Clothing
We don't supply outdoors clothing, but sometimes stuff gets abandoned in the Clubroom, so it is worth while to check out the "free bin" from time to time.
As of July 2021, MEC no longer rents sleeping bags or tents. Try Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist to find cheap gear or the VOC's Facebook page or message board to ask to borrow gear (Note that to access the message board, you must be signed in).
Other Gear Rental Locations
Mountain Equipment Company is/was probably the best source of rental equipment.
Another place you might go to rent or buy gear is Sports Junkies. They have winter clothing, tents, other camping gear, plus we get 10% off. Or you could try Valhalla Pure Outfitters.
All Access Adventures rents splitboards, avalanche safety gear, snowshoes, poles, touring backpacks, and surfboards. They are currently offering a discount to VOCers.