The VOC currently maintains four huts :
- Brew Hut just south of Mt Brew, between Brandywine Creek and Roe Creek.
- Harrison Hut near Meager Hotsprings, west of Pemberton.
- Brian Waddington Hut in Phelix Creek (Birkenhead Park) area.
- Burton Hut in Sphinx Bay on Garibaldi Lake, Garibaldi Provincial Park.
<googlemap lat="50.28" lon="-123.07" zoom="8" scale="yes"> 50.040021, -123.191251, Brew Hut 50.520609, -123.431866, Harrison Hut 50.630587, -122.679846, Brian Waddington Hut 49.929498, -122.993493, Burton Hut </googlemap>
Check out the VOC hut maintenance page for info on past and ongoing projects.
Also check the lost and found page for gear left behind in and around the VOC huts.
There is a long history of VOC huts dating back to the late 1910s when the first cabin was built on Hollyburn Mountain.
Reservations, and fees for usage
VOC huts are open to all non-mechanized, non-commercial groups. There is no reservation system, however all groups are encouraged to register on the VOC hut registration page. This is simply to reduce the possibility of large groups running into each other at a small hut and does not give any group priority to use the hut. VOC huts are free to current, paying VOC members. VOC Alumni and other users should pay $5/person/night for hut maintenance to the blue box or send to:
Varsity Outdoor Club Room 3500 – 6133 University Blvd. Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
Commercial users should contact the VOC before using the huts.
About Non-Motorized Recreation
It's no secret that there have been issues regarding the coexistence of motorized (generally snowmobiles) and "self-propelled" recreation (generally skiers and snowshoers) throughout the sea-to-sky corridor. In order to try and combat the flood of misinformation surrounding the topic the VOC is making an attempt to organize information regarding the areas surrounding our huts. See the Winter recreation zoning near VOC huts page for details.
Additionally, VOC members often visit other huts in southwest British Columbia:
- Keith's Hut in Cerise Creek
- Wendy Thompson Hut at Mariott Basin
- Himmelsbach Hut at Russet Lake
- Wedgemount Hut at Wedgemount Lake
- Mountain Lake Hut on the divide between Furry and Brittania Creeks
- Tantalus Hut at Lake Lovelywater in the Tantalus Range
- Red Tit Hut in the Serratus-Dione Col in the Tantalus Range
- Sentinel Bay Glaciology Huts in Sentinal Bay, Garibaldi Lake
- Elfin Lakes Shelter a colossal masterpiece in the Diamond Head area of Garibaldi Park
- North Creek Cabin
- Lizzie Lake Cabin
- Elsay Lake Cabin
- Snowspider Hut
- Pebble Creek Hut
- Bachelor Lake Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- Edwards Lake Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- Mount Steele Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- McNair Lake Cabin Tetrahedron Plateau
- Henrietta Lake cabin Woodfibre
- Tenquille Lake Cabin
- Knuckleheads Cabin (Powell River)
These are small enough that they don't really count as huts, but a few people could sleep in them if needed.