VOCWiki:How does one edit a page
If you're looking for the markup languages (to put in links, images, font changes, etc.), go to this resource.
A Wiki only works if people contribute to it! Don't be afraid, it's easy. Just click on the bottom of a page to edit it.
A couple quick guidelines for making contributions :
- Write articles with a neutral point of view (NPOV). Since articles will be edited over and over, they need to be written in a neutral style so that consensus on the content can eventually be reached.
- Do not use the first-person ("I think this is a bad idea"), unless absolutely necessary do not refer to people ("Dave said that there is a route...");
- Try to make your article as structured as possible. For example, when talking about a trail you might start with a short introduction, then talk about access and fees, then go on to give a detailed route description and perhaps have a history section.
- Try to avoid putting jokes on the pages. Humour is good on websites managed by a single person, but on a Wiki if everyone adds a joke, soon the real content will be lost.
- Avoid creating very short stub articles that have no useful content.
- Do create links to pages that don't yet exist but that should be written.
- If you just want to see how this works practice in the VOCWiki:Sandbox.
- Consider creating an account so that we can keep track of who's making changes. You have to have an account and log in to edit pages!
- Have a look around the site and look at how the good articles are put together. Try to use a similar style.
- Try to pick appropriate titles for pages and follow the capitalization guidelines below.
Go ahead and create a new page or edit an existing one. Don't worry about it not being perfect the first time around, that's the beauty of the Wiki, someone else will come along and improve it. A complete history of every page is kept, so don't worry and be bold, pages can always be reverted to a previous version.
If you need inspiration have a look at the very successful Wikipedia
If you need help with the "markup" language, have a look here : Wikipedia.