VOCWiki:How does one edit a page
A Wiki only works if people contribute to it! Don't be afraid, it's easy. Just click on the bottom of a page to edit it.
A couple quick guidelines for making contributions :
- Write articles with a neutral point of view (NPOV). Since articles will be edited over and over, they need to be written in a neutral style so that consensus on the content can eventually be reached.
- Do not use the first-person ("I think this is a bad idea"), unless absolutely necessary do not refer to people ("Dave said that there is a route...");
- Try to make your article as structured as possible. For example, when talking about a trail you might start with a short introduction, then talk about access and fees, then go on to give a detailed route description and perhaps have a history section.
- Try to avoid putting jokes on the pages. Humour is good on websites managed by a single person, but on a Wiki if everyone adds a joke, soon the real content will be lost.
- Avoid creating very short stub articles that have no useful content.
- Do create links to pages that don't yet exist but that should be written.
- If you just want to see how this works practice in the VOCWiki:Sandbox.
- Consider creating an account so that we can keep track of who's making changes. But remember it's not required you can edit a page without logging in.
- Have a look around the site and look at how the good articles are put together. Try to use a similar style.
- Try to pick appropriate titles for pages and follow the capitalization guidelines below.
Go ahead and create a new page or edit an existing one. Don't worry about it not being perfect the first time around, that's the beauty of the Wiki, someone else will come along and improve it. A complete history of every page is kept, so don't worry and be bold, pages can always be reverted to a previous version.
If you need inspiration have a look at the very successful Wikipedia
If you need help with the "markup" language, have a look here : Wikipedia.
There are three types of pages :
- Pages such as Huts are the primary content of VOCWiki. They provide useful VOC or outdoors information to the reader. These pages will appear with a white background.
- Pages that are named VOCWiki:Something, such as this page, are for information about how to use the Wiki itself. These pages will appear with a yellow background.
- Pages that are named Talk:Something, such as Talk:Main Page are for discussion related to the content of a page. These pages will appear with a yellow background. Every page can have an associated Talk page. Just click on "Discuss this page" link on the vertical toolbar on the left side of the page.
Please make sure that you use these Name Spaces apropriately.
When linking to pages use normal capitilization : first word of a sentence gets a capitalized while the other words don't, unless they are proper names. The linking system is not case-sensitive for the first word (both huts and Huts links to the same things) but it is case sensitive for other words (Garibaldi Neve traverse and Garibaldi Neve Traverse are different).