Every club member is supposed to do a workhike before borrowing any club gear. Typically, there are lots of people who want to do workhikes in the fall, but no execs keen enough to organize them. Here are some ideas for workhikes that typically happen. Some of these require a big group effort, and some are more individual oriented.
Workhike Schedule 2007-2008
- July 21 - 22, 2007: Phelix Creek Trail Workhike 1: Trail clearing and brushing. Coordinated by Christian Veenstra.
- August 4 - 6, 2007: Phelix Creek Trail Workhike 2: More trail clearing and brushing. Coordinated by Christian Veenstra.
- September 4, 2007: Main Carnival Event -- Letting UBC student know how great the VOC is. Coordinated by Meghan Anderson
- September 8 - 9, 2007: General purpose Brew workhike -- this should be the final work hike for this trail project. The main goal will be to remove the last of the unwanted trees along the route. Brew Hut also needs some window frames to be painted. Coordinated by Scott Nelson
- September 19 - 21, 2007: Clubs days -- selling memberships and tickets to longhike at the VOC booth. Coordinated by Meghan Anderson
- October 13 - 14, 2007: MEC Gear Swap -- only counts as a workhike if you buy gear for the club and not yourself
- October 18 - 19, 2007: Mini Clubs Days -- another clubs day to recruit more members. Coordinated by Meghan Anderson
- October 20 - 21, 2007: Phelix Creek Trail Workhike 3 -- One last effort to clean the last 100 vertical meters to the Brian Waddington Hut.
- TBD: Ski Tune Workshop
- Hut maintenance
- Our huts are constantly in need of little repairs and upgrades. See the VOC hut maintenance page for more details of exactly what needs to be done.
- Phelix Creek west side trail
- This is a project to move the trail to the Brian Waddington Hut over to the west side of phelix creek in order t avoid the creek crossings. This will also consolidate the winter and summer access routes into one trail. See the Phelix Creek Trail Construction wiki page for more details. This project is being led by Christian Veenstra.
- Europa Project
- Europa is a new 7 pitch 5.7 route on the Chief. It follows a line roughly parallel to Crap Crags. The Climber's Guide to Squamish claims that Crap Crags would be the most popular long route on the Chief if only it were cleaned. Given that Europa is an equally moderate climb over more exposed and exciting rock, it has more potential, if cleaned. The VOC is has been doing just that since November 2006. Much work is yet to be done, though.
- Roe Creek to Brew Lake Ski Trail
- The VOC is developing a new ski trail for access to the Brew Hut. Late winter or early spring may see some repositioning and trail markers and next summer there will be some big trees to come down and a bridge or two to go up. See the Roe Creek Ski Route page for more details about upcoming workhikes.
- Brew Lake Hiking Trail
- The Brew Lake Trail has been maintained by the VOC under the FMCBC adopt a trail program for a number of years. There is a lot of work to do on this trail, including getting it legitimately recognized by the government.
- VOCJ Indexing
- This is an ongoing project, and an easy workhike that can be done anytime. All you have to do is read an edition of the VOC Journal, and then build an index for the articles. Record your index, and the table of contents, here in the Wiki, on the VOCJ index page. Because the wiki is so accessible, you can do this workhike anywhere, anytime.
- Lead a trip
- For some, this is the easiest workhike. Just post and organize a VOC trip. It can be a casual day trip, a week long epic or anything in between - your choice. The trip has to be publicly posted in advance on the bulletin board to count, you can't just go hiking with some friends and call it a workhike.
- Be an instructor
- Sometimes there are a few honorariums for those who do, like free food, free wine, free ski lift ticket, etc. Some events that need instructors are: Longhike, Glacier school, Winter Longhike and Tele School.
- Give a Wednesday Slideshow
- Have some slides you want to share? Just sign up to give a Wednesday night slideshow. Be sure to attend a few first so you can get a handle on format, equipment and expectations.
- Write an Article for the VOC Journal
- The journal article deadline is usually in February, but you don't have to wait that long. A related workhike is to take one of the existing VOC Journals and index it here on the Wiki.
- Author a new wiki page
- Contributions to the Tips and Trip Ideas sections are always needed. Write about a worthwhile climbing, skiing, hiking or mountaineering destination you have visited. Or add your favourite backcountry cooking recipes for others to enjoy.
- Ski tune ups
- Typically a ski tune up night is held in October before the snow really starts to fall. This is usually a big group effort organized by the Quartermasters. There are some helpful tips for working on skis & skins on the Ski Maintenance page.
- Man the VOC table at Club's Days
- Tell everyone about how great the VOC is, take their money and sign them up for a membership.
- Help prepare food or clean up after an event
- Longhike and the banquet don't happen without help. Earn a workhike by helping cook or clean.
Workhike Schedule 2006-2007
- September 9-10 2006: Brew Hut Cleanup Part 2
- October 14-15 2006: Roe Creek Trail Workhike
- October 21-22 2006: MEC Gear Swap -- only counts as a workhike if you buy gear for the club and not yourself
- November 18?-19 2006: Sea_to_Sky_Forum_Signage_workhike (Postponed)
- November 21 2006: Ski Tune Workshop 2006
- November - ?: VOC Journal Indexing. Contact the Archivist for more details. Also see below. (Currently in progress)
Workhike Schedule 2005-2006
- September 19-21 2005: Clubs days
- September 27-28 2005: Brew Hut Construction and Demolition. Help demolish the old hut and stack firewood at the new one. sign up here.
- October 8-9 2005: Longhike - cook, cleanup or instruct
- October 31st 2005: Gear Stuff - Label, inventory, organise gear...10am-3pm, come for whatever you can. E-mail Dan.
- October 29-30 2005: Complete work on the new Brew Hut. Sign up here.
- March 19-20 2006: trip to put up Brew Trail Markers organized by Scott Nelson. This will be an overnight trip to the Brew Hut
- June 24-25 2006: Brew Outhouse cancelled
- July 22-23 2006: Brew Hut Cleanup
- August 12-20 2006: Burton Hut Renovation