A "workhike" is simply a name we have for volunteering to help the VOC. It often doesn't include any hiking, but huts/trails workhikes often have plenty.
Every club member is supposed to volunteer / do a workhike before borrowing club gear after a 3 rental grace period. Here are some ideas for workhikes that typically happen. Some of these require a big group effort, and some are more individual oriented.
- 1 Workhike Ideas
- 2 Past workhikes
Lead a Trip
- For some, this is the easiest workhike. Just post and organize a VOC trip. It can be a casual day trip, a week long epic or anything in between - your choice. The trip has to be publicly posted in advance on the Trip Agenda to count, you can't just go hiking with some friends and call it a workhike. This is the best workhike, because trips are what makes the VOC an outdoor club.
Write an Article for the VOC Journal
- Submissions are accepted until January 15th annually. Early submissions are highly recommended for high quality proofreading and editing from the editors. Submit your articles and ask your questions to: [email protected]
- A related workhike is to take one of the existing VOC Journals and index it here on the Wiki. You can borrow gear as soon as the article has been submitted, so get it done early.
Author a New Wiki Page
- Contributions to the Tips and Trip Ideas sections are always needed. Write about a worthwhile climbing, skiing, hiking or mountaineering destination you have visited. Or add your favourite backcountry cooking recipes for others to enjoy. With your contributions, the wiki can become a more valuable resource
Hut and Trail Maintenance
- Our huts are constantly in need of little repairs and upgrades. See the Hut Maintenance and the latest Hut Management Plan for details of exactly what needs to be done. The trails and roads that lead to our huts also need yearly brushing to maintain access: Phelix Creek FSR, Phelix Creek Trail, Roe Creek Road, Roe-Brew Trail, Harrison Hut Trail. The conditions for these trails will often be posted by members and the public as bulletins on our VOC Hut Registration page. If you are looking for inspiration for a project, the registration page is a good place to start! : The VOC has a complete set of tools just for hut and trail workhikes. These tools are free to use if you are running a work hike. The complete Tool Inventory we have available can be viewed on the Tool Inventory Page. To see a list of tools available up at each of the huts, view the Hut Inventory.
- This is an ongoing project, and an easy workhike that can be done any time. All you have to do is read an edition of the VOC Journal, and then build an index for the articles. Record your index, and the table of contents, here in the Wiki, on the VOCJ index page. Because the wiki is so accessible, you can do this workhike anywhere, any time.
Be an Instructor
- Sometimes there are a few honorariums for those who do, like free food, free wine, free ski lift ticket, etc. Some events that need instructors are: Longhike, Glacier school, Winter Longhike and Tele School.
Give a Wednesday Slideshow
- Have some slides you want to share? Just sign up to give a Wednesday night slideshow. Be sure to attend a few first so you can get a handle on format, equipment and expectations.
Ski tune ups
- Typically a ski tune up night is held in October before the snow really starts to fall. This is usually a big group effort organized by the Quartermasters. There are some helpful tips for working on skis & skins on the Ski Maintenance page.
Man the VOC table at Club Days
- Tell everyone about how great the VOC is and why they should get a membership.
Help prepare food or clean up after an event
- Rock Party and the Annual General Meeting Banquet don't happen without help. Earn a workhike by helping cook or clean.
Workhike Schedule 2009-2010
- September 19, 2009: Hang neatly printed VOC posters around campus (asking permission before hand). See message board and wiki page (September2009postering) for details.
- October 10-11, 2009: Longhike 2009
- October 17-18, 2009: Phelix_Creek_Trail_Workhike_Fall_2009
- March 6-7, 2010 Beverley Creek trail marking
- March 27-28, 2010 Hanging Lake trail marking
Workhike Schedule 2008-2009
- September 14 2008: Trail work party at Mount Seymour. See message board for details
- September 20 2008: Sigurd Peak Trail clearing Contact Paul Kubik [email protected] or (604) 876-0764 to sign up. Message board thread here
- October 5 2008: Deeks Lake Workhike 2008
- October 18-19 2008 Phelix Creek Trail Workhike 5
- October 18-19 2008 MEC Gear Swap
- November 13 2008 Ski-tuning: come and tune club skis
- November 28 2008 Club room clean up
Workhike Schedule 2007-2008
- July 21 - 22, 2007: Phelix Creek Trail Workhike 1: Trail clearing and brushing. Coordinated by Christian Veenstra.
- August 4 - 6, 2007: Phelix Creek Trail Workhike 2: More trail clearing and brushing. Coordinated by Christian Veenstra.
- September 4, 2007: Main Carnival Event -- Letting UBC student know how great the VOC is. Coordinated by Meghan Anderson
- September 8 - 9, 2007: General purpose Brew workhike -- this should be the final work hike for this trail project. The main goal will be to remove the last of the unwanted trees along the route. Brew Hut also needs some window frames to be painted. Coordinated by Scott Nelson
- September 19 - 21, 2007: Clubs days -- selling memberships and tickets to longhike at the VOC booth. Coordinated by Meghan Anderson
- October 13 - 14, 2007: MEC Gear Swap -- only counts as a workhike if you buy gear for the club and not yourself
- October 18 - 19, 2007: Mini Clubs Days -- another clubs day to recruit more members. Coordinated by Meghan Anderson
- October 20 - 21, 2007: Phelix Creek Trail Workhike 3 -- One last effort to clean the last 100 vertical meters to the Brian Waddington Hut.
- December 14, 2007: VOC Archives workhike -- Scanning VOC Archieves, in exchange for Pizza, and potentially Beer. 11:30-4:00 (gurantteed) or later.
- TBD: Ski Tune Workshop 2007
Workhike Schedule 2006-2007
- September 9-10 2006: Brew Hut Cleanup Part 2
- October 14-15 2006: Roe Creek Trail Workhike
- October 21-22 2006: MEC Gear Swap -- only counts as a workhike if you buy gear for the club and not yourself
- November 18?-19 2006: Sea_to_Sky_Forum_Signage_workhike (Postponed)
- November 21 2006: Ski Tune Workshop 2006
- November - ?: VOC Journal Indexing. Contact the Archivist for more details. Also see below. (Currently in progress)
Workhike Schedule 2005-2006
- September 19-21 2005: Clubs days
- September 27-28 2005: Brew Hut Construction and Demolition. Help demolish the old hut and stack firewood at the new one. sign up here.
- October 8-9 2005: Longhike - cook, cleanup or instruct
- October 31st 2005: Gear Stuff - Label, inventory, organise gear...10am-3pm, come for whatever you can. E-mail Dan.
- October 29-30 2005: Complete work on the new Brew Hut. Sign up here.
- March 19-20 2006: trip to put up Brew Trail Markers organized by Scott Nelson. This will be an overnight trip to the Brew Hut
- June 24-25 2006: Brew Outhouse cancelled
- July 22-23 2006: Brew Hut Cleanup
- August 12-20 2006: Burton Hut Renovation