VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Booth in Nest to Spread Word of #SaveGaribaldi · Friday, April 8th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Apr. 8th, 12:00 pm
End: Friday, Apr. 8th, 4:00 pm
As you may or may not have heard, the proposed Garibaldi at Squamish all-season resort on Brohm Ridge has passed its environmental impact assessment. This means it is one step closer to becoming a reality. Despite what GAS says, there are some potential major impacts to Garibaldi and those of us that use the Park.
First of all, there are certain to be large impacts to the surrounding ecosystems, including the modification of over two Stanley Parks' worth of old growth forest (>810 hectares), conflict with mountain goat and deer winter ranges, and the reduction of stream levels in river side-channels vital for salmon spawning.
Further, GAS will be within 50 meters of the park boundary, opening up access to serious terrain around Mt. Garibaldi and potentially stressing the already overwhelmed local SAR. Similarly, the traffic volumes on the 99 will increase to unsustainable levels.
We are going to have a table set up in the basement of the Nest on Friday, April 8, from 12-4. The goal is to spread awareness of the potential impacts of GAS, and to gather signatures for the GaribaldiPark2020 petition to open up Garibaldi Park's master plan to further protect the park we love.
We need two volunteers to man the table each hour, including at least one person with a computer that can be opened up to the petition page. I will set the table up with some pictures, and the last people should take these pictures down. This will count as a workhike, if you are in need of one!
To sign up, put yourself as comitted on the signup tool here, and place your name in a slot on the wiki page.
Thank you for your help :)