VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Island Caving Extravaganza · Sat. Oct. 22nd - Sun. Oct. 23rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Oct. 22nd
End: Sunday, Oct. 23rd
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Oct. 19th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Caving isn't generally an activity that's on people's radar, mostly due to the 'what the f***' factor; absolute darkness, tight awkward squeezes, getting covered in mud... But there is infact another world down there, and let me tell you, it's pretty damn cool.
The plan is to head to Vancouver Island to do some caving and climbing. We will be going into technical, vertical cave(s); as such, some prerequisite skills and traits are needed.
- Rappel and climbing experience (essential)
- SRT experience (preffered, but not essential)
- Comfortable with confined spaces. Very confined spaces.
- Above average sense of (type 2) adventure
I will be running a manditory 'classroom' session/pre-trip meeting (1.5 - 2hrs). We will discuss speleomorphology, cave formations, cave safety, and how to minimize our impact on the fragile environment inside a cave. I would hope this interests you, as opposed to being a task in the way of going caving.
Due to the very small group size and technicality of this trip, it will not necessarily be first come first served. Signing up as commited does not guarantee your place. Sorry :( I wish I could take everyone but just can't. Sign-up closes and group will be finalized Oct 12th.
This trip is rain or shine; caving can be done regardless of weather. Also we'll ninja camp down a logging road for the overnight.