Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Introduction to Backcountry Skiing · Sat. Jan. 21st - Sun. Jan. 22nd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Richard Shaw
Start: Saturday, Jan. 21st
End: Sunday, Jan. 22nd, 11:59 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 18th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside the clubroomDescription:
This trip is an introduction to skiing and winter camping in the backcountry. We will likely be going to Fat Dog Creek in Manning Park, where we will head up 6-7km up the trail, camp overnight and ski some laps in the area. For this trip you do not need any previous experience backcountry skiing, but you must have some experience skiing (i.e. can descend a blue run in a resort without falling). Though we will be on reasonably easy terrain, you will be skiing with a winter overnight pack which will make things seem much harder. As we will be staying overnight in tents, you must also have experience camping, though not necessarily in winter (although it would be helpful). Split/snow boarders are welcome, but please let me know in advance.
For preparation try attending the Winter Long Hike the week before, though this is not required (although on this trip we will be sleeping in tents, not snow caves). For what to bring have a look at the VOC gear list, or send me an email with any specific questions. Some items e.g. four season tents/sleeping bags the VOC does not rent, so try to obtain them well in advance (MEC, borrow from friends etc).
The maximum number of participants depends on how many experienced skiers/winter campers I can convince to help run the trip, and how many cars we have, so may be quite uncertain until near the date (previous trips have been in the 20-30 participants range).
Any questions, feel free to email me or hit up the message board.
Posted: 2016-12-09 12:17:56
Last modified: 2016-12-27 01:43:50