VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Backpacking to Harrison Hut · Fri. Jun. 16th - Sun. Jun. 18th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Jun. 16th, 4:00 pm
End: Sunday, Jun. 18th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Monday, Jun. 12th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom
Did you know the VOC maintains four alpine huts? Harrison Hut, one of the harder huts to access in winter, is becoming easily accessible again as the snow melts. By mid-June I am hoping most of the snow on the trail up to the hut will have melted.
This will be a beginner friendly trip but you should feel fit enough to hike 12km and 1500m elevation with an overnight pack. Let me know if you are interested in coming but don’t have any backpacking experience.
Because the trail to the hut is fairly long and steep in some parts we may take 1.5 or 2 days to reach the hut depending on the experience level of the group. Half way along the trail there is a great place to camp. If possible I would like to spend a day up at the hut exploring the surrounding terrain before heading back. We will probably also haul up a new solar lighting system to the hut. We can discuss the exact details and dates of the trip at the pre-trip meeting on June 12th.
Post on the message board or send me an email if you have any questions.